New Lounger
    Thanks

Locked Database (2002)

I wonder if you can help.

I am unable to open a database and receive the following message " The Microsoft Jet dB engine stopped the process because you and another user are attempting to change the same data at the same time".

I know of no other user trying to access the dB. I believe the problem occured when I was trying to compact the database when no disc space was available.

Tim

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Locked Database (2002)

Have you checked for a lbd file with the same name as the mdb file in the same directory ?
    If it exist, delete it.
    Francois

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Locked Database (2002)

1. See if there is an .ldb file with the same name as the database in the folder that contains the database. If so, delete the .ldb file, then try to open the database again.

2. If that doesn't help, the database has probably become corrupt. there are some things you can try to repair it, or to salvage as much as possible:

- Download Jetcomp.exe from Jet compact utility is available in download center; this utility can sometimes repair databases that the internal 'Compact and Repair' cannot handle.
    - Create a new blank database and use File | Get External Data | Import... to import as many database objects from the problem database as possible.
    - Try to import the tables into Excel (Data | Get External Data | New Database Query...); the ODBC driver operates at a low level and may be able to get at the data. This won't retrieve other database objects (forms etc.)

If these fail, you are out of luck. Going back to the most recent non-corrupt backup you have is the best you can do then, but of course, you may have lost some data.