2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Different Size Bullets in Word (Word 2003)

Sometimes when creating bulleted lists, a bullet (usually the first one) will be significantly smaller than the others. Something that occasionally works to correct this is to select the bulleted list, hold the Ctrl key and press the spacebar. Although all bullets change, at least they're the same size and can be made to look like the original. What I wonder about is how can this be corrected when the Ctrl + Spacebar doesn't work? Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Different Size Bullets in Word (Word 2003)

A bullet by nature, takes on the format of the font size!
    I find it better to activate the bullet first, and then type to the bullets; than type the list and add bullets after. Sometimes you select more that the text and the bullet could have the tendancy of taking on the formatting of a hidden character.
    Always start a bulleted list on a new blank line, with default formatting. (Similar to Tabs)

How do you go about creating the bulleted list?
    Regards,
    Rudi

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Rudi for the info. It's a student I have in the Word class I teach who works with an existing bulleted list. I'm having her bring in the file but she's tried all possible ways to correct the first bullet but it won't work. I'll clarify with her the scenario she has when I see her tomorrow.

Thanks

Word 2003 has a new "style separator" feature that allows the first part of a paragraph to have a different style than the rest of the paragraph. I don't know what this looks like on the screen, but maybe this kind of separator is causing the bullet to take on a different font size than the rest of the paragraph???

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The font of the bullet comes from the underlying font of the paragraph that contains it, possibly modified by settings in the Bullets and Numbers dialog box. I have seen bullets with odd sizes when someone has selected all the text in a paragraph - without selecting the paragraph mark itself - and changed the font.

To check for this you have to select JUST the paragraph mark at the end of the paragraph and look at its properties. This feels really odd because the paragraph mark appears to be at the very end of the paragraph and the bullet is at the beginning.

StuartR