3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Creating a 2nd master layout (PPT 2003)

Hi All -
    saw the lengthy string on layouts from August of '03 but it's a little off of what I need.
    1. In PPT 2003 I apparently can create a second layout. (To be specific, I need different chapter headings repeated on several slides, ergo multiple layouts.) Great! However, when I try to apply that layout, there's only the one original given as a choice.
    2. If somehow I can get this working, what will happen when a person without the multiple layout feature opens my document?
    3. What is an autolayout?

Thanks!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Creating a 2nd master layout (PPT 2003)

In 1, I believe you are referring to the Master Slide, which isn't exactly a layout. You can however have multiple master slides in 2002/2003 and you can tell PPT to apply a master to a group of slides, which might come close to the effect you want.

2. Once a slide has a Master slide applied to it, a person viewing it doesn't need to know about the Master Slides as I understand it. On the other hand if they want to edit it, add slides, etc, then they need to have the master.

3. An auto-layout is what you see when you select the "New Slide" button on the toolbar in 2002/2003 - you get a task pane that typically opens on the right hand side of the window and shows you a series of choices for the slide. As I understand, you cannot add additional auto-layouts.

4. You didn't ask this question, but since we are in the neighborhood, what is a template? A template is a graphical theme applied to slides in a presentation. It specifies the graphics objects and text placeholders, and a background in addition to colors and other properties such as a suggested outline. You can create your own templates if you wish.

A good source of reference for these kind of things is to type the question "What is a layout" or "What is a slide master" in the Answer Wizard in Powerpoint Help. In your specific situation, you may want to use the copy/paste approach to simply create multiple slides with the same "Chapter Heading". Hope this helps at least a little bit.
    Wendell

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wendell,
    thanks for all the info. I was referring to Master rather than layout, you're right. I was able to enable multiple masters, but then when I went to apply a particular master to one slide, it changed all the slides. Isn't the idea of multiple masters to have various designs in one document? The help menu wasn't helpful in this.

Thanks.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wendell,
    I figured it out. Had to open up a sub-menu from the down arrow within "Apply a Design Template" and apply the master to only the selected slide.