Thread: cross-reference

New Lounger
    Thanks

cross-reference

I often use auto cross-references to paragraph numbers (plain vanilla, without full context) and then attach the document to an e-mail. A few recipients receive the document as if the reference were with full context, and the text of the cross-referenced paragraph is included rather than just the paragraph number.

I can find no consistency in who gets this effect or why.

Thanks

Re: cross-reference

How do you package your Word document? It is best if you can use WinZip or something similar so that there aren't strings hanging out of your document that can get cut off in the mail.

Are your recipients using the same version of Word that you are? Some default setting have been changed in different revisions.

You might try locking all fields in the document before you send it. Ctrl-A and Ctrl-F11

See http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/complex legal documents.htm for more info on cross-references.

Hope this helps.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: cross-reference

Many thanks for this. The attachments are transmitted on a reliable LAN. From what you say, I think the problem is probably different versions of Word with different defaults. I will try locking fields and see if that helps.