5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word hangs on save... (Office 2003)

One of our office PC on our network is having major issues with mainly Word. When she hits save or Save As, immedietly it hour-glasses for minutes, sometimes even going into a "not responding" mode. This occures even when trying to save a doc to the local drive. All others on the network have no problems like this whatsoever.

This is a fairly new Dell PC.

--KZ

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word hangs on save... (Office 2003)

I have heard of several things that can cause problems with saving files
    1. <LI>In Word go to Tools>Options and on the Save tab make sure "Allow fast saves" is not selected
      <LI>In Outlook make sure that the journal is not saving details of work done on Office file (Tools>Options, on Preferences tab click "Journal options")
      <LI>If you use Norton Anti-virus turn off the Office Plug-in (the option is in the miscellaneous section of the Norton Anti-virus options)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your reply.
    The only thing that I did have checked was the "Allow fast saves" was checked. You say to UNcheck that? On my work PC I had that checked too and it saves fine though. What does that actually do?
    Everything else was as stated.

I'll have her check that out tomorrow and see if that made any difference or not.

--KZ

Thanks

Not sure, but this is my understanding: In a "normal " save, Word completely rewrites the internal structure of the file. In a "fast" save, Word stashes the changes at the end of the file. After a while, the file can become bloated and, in some cases, corrupted. They ought to remove this option from Word, given how fast our machines have become.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Allow fast save is intended to reduce the time it takes to save a document but this has 2 side effects.
    1/ The document will keep on growing in size as when the file is saved it saves the old version plus a record of all the changes you have made.
    2/ As all of the old document is stored, including deleted data, it is possible to view the deleted text, which may be confidential information and this could be a problem if you send the document to somebody else.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

She also has been getting a lot of "text recovery" error notices when opening doc's too. Maybe the adjustment yesterday will fix that too. I'm still waiting to hear back if the "fast save" option unchecked fixes anything.

--KZ

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

While I haven't used Word 2003, have your user also check Tools/Options/Save tab & see what is listed under "Save Word files as:". Perhaps it's not set to Word docs.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I just now checked that. It is set to save files as Word .doc files. Thanks for thinking about that though.

--KZ

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The "text recovery" means that there are temp files in the last folder that were not closed and removed when Word was closed. I would go to that folder and clean out ALL of the temp files.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I did check that too. Nothing in those temp areas curently.
    What's strange is that I'm not sure that it's Word's problem. When I was doing a search and opened up the explorer and was looking through some folders, all of a sudden it froze for about 15 seconds. The mouse worked, but nothing at all responded, then it like kicked in again. What's up with that? I wonder if that's the issue that the saving is having?

--KZ

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Tell us more about this Network, i.e., type, how many are connecting, seeds of the NIC's, how the connections to the net drives are made and etc.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

It sounds like something is running in the background. You might try rebooting & disabling everything that isn't required to run. When you get that problem, perhaps the task manager can tell you what's running. There are also general things like enough disk space, scandisk, & defrag. You checked out the other two items that Tony mentioned in <post#=423234>post 423234</post#> above?

New Lounger
    Thanks

I am having a similar problem. 8 computers on an XP Pro Workgroup with Service pack 2. Computers that have Office XP have no problem with Outlook or Word. The two computers that have Office 2003, both Outlook and Word, hang open for minutes with the hour glass moving. Obtained a patch from Microsoft to modify the registry and start a cache. Added another patch last night.

According to the Microsoft articles, the problem centers around an individual computer "forgetting" the mapped drives, so when "File save" opens, it hangs until it rebuilds it. Problem only occurs when the PC has been on for several hours, even if it is sleeping. When I do a complete re- boot, it is fine.

All computers have at least 1GB ram. One is a dual processor XEON with 4 GB RAM and a TB of online storage. I've checked the VM paging on all the PC's and it is fine.

It has been suggested that the problem is the XP WorkGroup, and I need go move to a Server Domain. Yet every other piece of software works great. I'm just about ready to remove Office 2003 and go back to Office XP.

Any ideas??