Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Win2k popups ...

I have someone who has just asked me why a java-based internet statement function he has been using for ages suddenly stopped working about three weeks ago - he got a message saying a popup [something] had been blocked, and when he clicked okay got a java error.

Does anyone know if there was an autoupdate of something at around that time that might be causing this, and if so, where does he go to add this particular site to the appropriate whitelist? I've looked at the MSKB and there seems to be have been something on 12 October, which sounds about right, but I can't find anything specifically about blocking popups - or rather, unblocking them!

I don't actually know much about Win2k, I'm afraid, so any responses need to be stated in full, as I have to pass them on verbatim to the fella with the problem (who is not terribly computer literate)!

Many thanks!
    Beryl M

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Win2k popups ...

You are right, after installing 834707 Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer, some Java functions stop working until the webpage code will be fixed (see KB887741 for details.)

Try to use another browser, for example, Netscape 7.2 or Mozilla 1.7.3

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Win2k popups ...

Hmm - I have to say I hope you're wrong! Because if not, we could be talking about hundreds of clients who are all going to come up against this problem using our website fairly soon!

However, since this update was released nearly a month ago and we have so far only have one customer tell us they have a problem (and the numbers using it run into 4 figures) I think we are probably fairly safe ...

Thanks for the pointer, however, it might help anyway!
    Beryl M