3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Error message I can't get rid of! (Word 2000 SP3 / Windows 2000 SP4)

I sure hope someone can help me with this problem! Just when I was getting comfortable with what I was trying to do, an error msgbox pops up saying "Can't exit design mode because control OptionButton3 can't be created". The help tells me to delete the control or be sure to make available whatever it is trying to link to. Trouble is, I don't have an OptionButton3 in this document. At one point I tried adding a couple of optionbuttons and then decided to replace them with a drop down list. I tried finding a bookmark for the control and only realized after adding and deleting OptionButton4 and 5 that bookmarks don't get automatically created for controls the way they do for formfields. I tried saving, closing Word, and reopening the document. the same thing happens. Sometime it takes a minute or two before the error pops up again, but it keeps coming back.
    How can I find out what is causing this error and how can I fix it?
    Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Error message I can't get rid of! (Word 2000 SP3 / Windows 2000 SP4)

Hi there. If you'll key Alt+F9 to view all fields you should be able to search for the the OptionButton. Go to Edit / Find and in the find what box put Forms.OptionButton.3 (you can copy and paste from the post) and then click on Find Next. It Word should be able to locate the field which you can then delete.

Hope this helps.
    Karen

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your suggestion. I tried what you suggested and still can't find the field. I even tried searching just for "button". The only one it found is the {Control Forms.CommandButton.1 s } which as far as I know is the only control in the document. I have a bunch of form fields and I did add some optionbuttons, but I deleted them. At least I thought I did. It seems like not all of the "pieces" of OptionButton3 got deleted. I have no clue where to look for the "pieces" but there must be something somewhere that is still telling Word or the VB editor that the process of adding OptionButton3 is not complete. I tried adding a new optionbutton (number 5) and then changing the name to OptionButton3. It won't let me do that. It says the name is ambiguous.
    Thanks again for the response, I hope you can help me further.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Out of desperation, I created a new document, highlighted everything in the old document, copied it, and pasted it into the new document. Then I copied the old macro code and created a new macro in the new document and pasted the code there. I then changed the name of the control button to match the macro name and everything seems to be working fine. I still have the old document in case someone has any ideas I can try it out.
    Thanks

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Error message I can't get rid of! (Word 2000 S

The only thing I might suggest is to open the VBE & see if you have a module that contains or contained the code. Perhaps some remnant is still there. The easiest solution, though, is probably the one you used.
    Cheers,

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Error message I can't get rid of! (Word 2000 S

I'm still new at this with no formal training so I really missed out on some of the basics which I really should go back and learn! I don't understand the tree on the left side of the editor so I clicked on every node looking for anything that might fit what you suggested. I only found two sub/end sub pairs: the macro for the command button and the macro I have in normal.dot to lock forms without clearing the fields, which is now also part of this document, I think. I couldn't find any others anywhere. Looking for it helped me learn a little more about how the macros are attached to the documents but the "new macros" node under normal has me confused. I'll have to watch that when I create or record a new macro. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion. I suspect the answer lies somewhere deep in the bowels of Word's inner workings and I'm not sure I want to go there!
    Thanks