5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Graphics Card for Games

A friend is thinking about buying a Dell Dimension 3000. His use of the computer is pretty basic, email, web surfing, some card games AND Microsoft Flight Simulator. The Flight Simulator requires a video card with at least 8 MB memory. The Dimension 3000's video card is an integrated one - which will not work with Flight Simulator. There are three open PCI slots. Would it make sense to buy a PCI video card and install it in the Dimension 3000. A video card sells for around $50 - 75.

The alternative to doing it this way is to buy a Dimension 4700 with a video card but there is a $290 additional cost to do so. The Dimension 3000 sells for $379 vs $669 for the Dimension 4700.

What do you folks think - I feel adding a PCI video card to the Dimension 3000 is the way to go. PS - we would order the Dimension 3000 with 512 MB of RAM memory.

Thanks for your input.

Thanks

Re: Graphics Card for Games

trebor,
    That's a "no brainer".
    With some shopping around, you can get a card with a least 128 MB of video RAM for around $80.00 to 90.00 and still save about $200.00 over the other Dell.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I agree totally but would you believe my friend opted for the Dimension 4700. Oh well, another boost for our economy.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Actually, I think he made a wise choice (excepting that he was hellbent on buying from Dell, instead of building his own). But the 4700 has a full P4HT 2.8GHz 800FSB cpu, 512Mb Dual Channel RAM, and SATA hard drive, and the upgraded video. While the 3000 has a Celeron 2.4Ghz 533FSB cpu, 256Mb of single channel RAM, EIDE HD, and standard graphics.

Additionally, the 4700 has a 1 yr in-home warranty, while the 3000 only has a 90-day. I think for an extra $250 (according to Dell's site), he did well.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Bill,

Actually the 3000 model had a P4 2.8 Ghz processor, 512 MB RAM memory and I would have installed a new video card instead of the integrated one. I have helped several folks buy and install the 3000 Dell and have been very pleased with it. Granted, it is not as good as one built by oneself, but overall, it will do most anything the average user requires.

Thanks for your input though.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, according to the Dell's website, which I just checked again to make sure I was not loosing it, to bump the 3000 up to the 2.8G CPU and 512Mb, and everything else is the standard 3000 - such as the 90 warranty, that takes the price up to $649. But oh well.

There's no doubt that Dell makes good systems for the price. The systems I build are better. Since I can't buy 1 million HD, and 1 million cases wholesale, there's no way I can beat their price. Such is life.

later...
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Did you check both the Home and the Small Business sales divisions. The Small Business usually beats the prices of the Home division. Especially check out their Outrageous Deals. And the warranty on this 3000 deal was 2 years.

I always compare specs and price between the two divisions. Even with the sales tax of the small business division included, their prices are usually lower.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Nice tip! Thanks.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!

─────────────────────

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

If all you want is the hardware and OS another plus for the Small business part of Dell is that you can get a system without all the other 'exceptional value' software that is loaded on most home systems.

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the tip - I'll have to remember that the next time I go searching at Dell for a PC.
    Christopher Baldrey