Star Lounger
    Thanks

Error 429 / Missing DAO..

My remote user just got a new computer. When tech support installed my application (which runs under Access 97), it gave the following error message: Error 429 ActiveX component can't create object. I read the Microsoft paper as referenced in the other Error 429 posting. Tech support reinstalled Access 97 as well as my program. I also found that when I open a module and check references, the DAO 2.5/3.5 Compatibility reference is checked but marked as Missing. How do I get this installed? Do they need to reinstall all of the Microsoft office? I'm hoping that this will clear the 429 error.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Error 429 / Missing DAO..

Try unchecking that library and checking the DAO 3.5 library instead. Any application written in Access 97 that uses a compatibility library either doesn't need to or the programmer was too lazy to learn the latest coding techniques when the upgraded.
    Charlotte

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Missing all DAO..

When I called the user and had her go to check a different Microsoft DAO box, there weren't any. It skipped from the Microsoft ADO selections to Microsoft Data Sources.

This is probably a very elementary question but where do these files get installed from? Access, Microsoft Office?

I inherited this part of the program and will look to replace in future.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Missing all DAO..

I don't know how to install Access without DAO, but it would have to be done intentionally or as a dumb mistake rather than in a normal installation. I would start by rerunning the installation and specifically making sure all the components are being installed. Then go and whack tech support upside the head!

Is Office 2000 installed on this machine as well? If so, it is possible that they improperly installed the Access 97. Access 97 cannot use the libraries for Access 2000, so if the installation tried to put the executables in the same folders, you would get all kinds of odd problems. There are knowledgebase articles on installing Access 97 on an Office 2000 machine, so if that's your situation scream at your tech support until they track down and read them. I believe the links have been posted here in the Lounge, so you may be able to find them using search as well.

If you have Office 2K and Access 97, you're going to have to uninstall both of them, run Eraser2000 (available by download from Microsoft), install Access 97 in a separate folder (like Office97) and then install Office 2K without upgrading Access 97.
    Charlotte

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Success!

The tech support person started the installation procedure again. She choose the Reinstall / missing files options and the DAO libraries were installed.

Again, thanks for your help.