New Lounger
    Thanks

Access XP/Office Links (Access 2002 SP3)

We have moved from Office 2000 to Office XP. I have hit a brick wall in the new Access.
    I placed a copy of my system.mdw (from Access 2000) on my new PC and ran the Workgroup Admin in Access and joined with my 2000 system.mdw file for my security setup.
    Then I brought over my Access 2000 database applications. When I test them I am getting errors at every area in my applications where I had previously (in Access 2000) taken my user to the 'Tools, Office Links, Merge with Word'.
    I get a Mail Merge Wizard dialog box saying 'Word was unable to open the data source.'
    I spent all day yesterday looking in the help, checking the security settings and selecting all possible options!
    I am now at a total loss, can you help please. Thank you.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access XP/Office Links (Access 2002 SP3)

Did you check your code to make sure it doesn't refer to the wrong version of Word?
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

In the code there is no version code it is just :
    DoCmd.OpenQuery stDocName, acNormal, acEdit
    SendKeys "%TLM", True

The code only go as far as selecting the 'Tools, Office Links, Merge with Word', and it does open Word 2002. I do not select any specific document because sometimes the user will use an existing document and sometimes they will want to create a new document.
    To this point it seems to works fine. But whether I select new or existing document it tells me the 'source can not be opened'.
    A dialog box pops-up to 'Confirm Data Source' with options - OLE DB database File ,etc....... The data source is already open, I see it on the screen. Even when I go through trying to select it again, I still get the dialog box 'Word can not open data source.'
    I even tried to convert the application to Access 2002 thinking that may be necessary but the same thing happens whether it is an Access 2000 format OR an Access 2002 format.
    If there is some different code instructions that need to be included could you share them please.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I just tried your code on my machine with AXP and Word 2002 on WinXP Pro and had no problems. The mail merge wizard behaved perfectly for me and happily accepted the open query as its data source. Are you using a secured database? What kind of a query is this, a straight select query or something else? Was Microsoft Query installed as part of the Office tools?
    Charlotte

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The Word Mail Merge feature was completely rewritten for Word 2002, and has caused considerable grief for users who had merges already working. Have you tried selecting DDE as the option for connecting to your query? That seems to solve a number of issues - of course it works much more slowly. You might also try doing a merge manually instead of using SendKeys - you may get some useful error messages.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you Wendell and Charlotte for your posts.
    Yes Wendell I have tried using the Office Links just from the Access database and I still get the same response.
    I played around and created a new little test Access XP database and the Office Link Mail Merge works just fine.
    SO I am thinking it has to do with my System.mdw that I brought over from my Access 2000 and 'joined' in Access XP.
    But I have tried removing all security and just coping the databases over to XP but I still get the same response. Do either of you have any suggestions?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

There are some know issues with secured databases and mail merges - especiallly if you are using DDE. What happens is that Word tries to open a second instance of the database when the merge is initiated, and often the login dialog box is hidden. Try doing an ALT-TAB to step through the open applications and see if you find one or more login prompts. The simplest method to resolve the issue is to remove the password from the Admin account, but in the long run that may not be acceptable. Other options are to use a different connection method such as ODBC or OLE-DB. However those methods will have problems with parameter queries in particular - life never seems simple, does it!
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you Wendell for your response. I will try changing the security file and see what that does.
    I think I 'hate' XP Office!!!