Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2000 locks up (2000 (9))

We are running Exchange Server 5.5 on Windows 2000 Server. Our staff uses Outlook 2000 on mostly Windows XP computers. We have been having frequent reports that sporadically while a person is typing a message and a new message comes into the inbox that the computer locks up. Also messages are not coming into the inbox as they are received. You might have to minimize Outlook or go to a different window within Outlook and then back and then a bunch of messages will appear. In a few cases the Outlook window has just turned completely white and the user had to end the program with the Task Manager.

Any one have any ideas?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook 2000 locks up (2000 (9))

There are a potentially large number of issues. What has already been attempted in terms of solutions?

Have these users run scanpst.exe on their PST files, if they use them? If the problem occurs on messages with attachments, is there a possible Temporary Internet File Space problem as addressed in <post#=320747>post 320747</post#>? Are there server side user mailbox size restrictions which could be a problem? Are these users using any e-mail virus scaning software? Are they using any other add-ins? Are they using any custom forms?
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7DS

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

M$ tend to maintain that the Mail configurations should be: <UL><LI>Exchange 5.5 - NT4 - Outlook 97 or 98<LI>Exchange 2k - Win2k - Outlook 2k<LI>Exchange 2k3 - Win2k3/XP - Outlook 2k3[/list]Your slightly mixed configuration may be adding to the instability issue.
    HTH
    Gre

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I don't think it could be mailbox size. I will check on the other things you mentioned. The problem is so hard to track because it is sporadic. A couple of users are using custom forms, the others aren't. Most probably are not using .pst files. The email scanning should have been turned off, but I will check on this. Thanks.