Thanks

List restart results in style change (Word 2002 SP-2)

I have Word's built-in List Number style set up with a SpaceAfter of 9 pts. I've created a "List Number SS" style based on List Number, with the only difference being a SpaceAfter of 0.

My problem is: If I have a list of paragraphs in the List Number SS style and I restart numbering in the first paragraph, the numbering restarts just fine but the style of that first paragraph is changed to List Number. All of the following paragraphs (which are correctly numbered 2, 3, 4, etc.) continue to have the List Number SS style. And if I then re-apply the List Number SS style to the first paragraph, the restart goes away.

Clearly I can work around the glitch by applying direct formatting (i.e., a SpaceAfter of 0) to the first paragraph. (Or, alternatively, I could set up List Number SS as an independent style, with its own list template, instead of basing it on List Number.) But is there a clean fix that will allow me to continue to base List Number SS on List Number?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: List restart results in style change (Word 2002 SP-2)

Hi there! Your explanation was excellent -- it made it very easy to recreate.

The problem is in basing List Number SS on List Number so that the "bullets and numbering" format which is in your custom style is tied to the List Number style. Consequently, Word imposes that association when you restart the numbering. You have two options:
    1. <LI>Modify the custom style and go to Format / Numbering and select then customize one of the gallery options which is not associated with a style (the associated style appears in the gallery in grey text following the number); or
      <LI>Modify the custom style so that it is based on Normal
    I hope this helps!
    Karen

Thanks

Re: List restart results in style change (Word 2002 SP-2)

Thanks for the confirmation. Pending a bug fix (or "feature adjustment", if you prefer), I've given my "SS" versions their own list templates.