Star Lounger
    Thanks

inserting file name and path in document (Word 97 and 2000)

How do I insert the path and file name of a document in my Word document? It is for the purpose of facilitating finding the document on the computer when all I have is the hard copy to refer to. Thanks!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: inserting file name and path in document (Word 97 and 2000)

You could insert a FILENAME field with the p switch to specify that the path should be included.

You can do this from the Insert Fields dialog box or by typing Control-F9 to create the { } braces, then typing { FILENAME p } in the middle, then right clicking the field and choosing Update Field from the menu.

StuartR

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Go to Header and footer toolbar and the Insert AutoText menu. One of the choices is File name and path.

Fred

Star Lounger
    Thanks

For Word 2003 - Do you know how I would get the file name and path to automatically update when the file is saved? With it not in the footer but rather, under the Sender Name at the end of a letter... and this is on a template (.dot). Thanks.

Thanks

Re: inserting file name and path in document (Word

Have you customized Word's usual FileSave and FileSaveAs and FileClose behavior? If so, you could tuck in another line to update all fields in the body, or a loop to skim through looking for matching fields and updating only those. If you currently use the built-in FileSave, FileSaveAs and FileClose functionality, there are quite a few little hurdles to getting a truly smooth integration, especially for the "exit" scenario....

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'd like to emphasize Jefferson's warning - I'd think twice before trying to customize the FileSave and FileSaveAs commands.

Although not quite what you want, I'd put code to update fields in the Document_Open procedure in the ThisDocument module of the template:

Private Sub Document_Open()
    ActiveDocument.Fields.Update
    End Sub

This way, the document name will be up-to-date when the document is opened (if the template is available), even if it has been moved or renamed in Windows Explorer.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That's exactly what I did a few years back. But then the Helpdesk got a lot of call from users complaining about Word asking them to save the file, although they didn't change anything... So I ended up adding a line:

ActiveDocument.Saved = True