Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Is SP2 safe yet? (XP Pro SP1)

I've been waiting patiently ever since SP2 came out (although I'm not really sure WHAT specifically I was waiting for). At first I saw a lot of people complaining about various software packages not working after SP2. Now it seems I see a lot of people saying that "of course you should install SP2" or something to that effect. I even have the Windows Update icon constantly in my systray, and every time I log in it reminds me that I have Updates ready to install, specifically SP2.
    My question is, is there really anything for me to worry about if I install SP2? I'm tempted to install it just to stop that annoying reminder, but that attitude only gets me into trouble.

Thanks -
    Don
    Have a cookie -

Don

Thanks

Re: Is SP2 safe yet? (XP Pro SP1)

Some have had troubles after installing SP2 but the vast majority of users have installed it without any glitches. It's certainly your decision, but I certainly would recommend installing. There are certain to be more security updates and patches in the future, and in all probability, they won't install without SP2. I installed SP2 as soon as the full update was available on the MS site and it was painless.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

I installed it on perhaps a dozen machines within a week after release without any problems. I'd download the full version from here
    Windows XP Service Pack 2 Network Installation and not use Windows Update. Most of the problems I've seen have been reported by people who've let Windows Update do it. Do not be put off by the title on the download page.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

The "experts' consensus" seems to be that the odds of serious trouble are pretty low, but that you should first do a backup. Or two.

(No, I haven't installed it yet. Any day now...)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I've installed SP2, or seen it install via Windows Update, on about ten XP Pro machines, varying from Dell to HP to no-name local-computer-shop-built machines. On none was there any problem, perhaps because they were fairly standard home, or unexceptional business, machines. Maybe I've been lucky?

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I've been lucky too, On about 10 assorted desktops and laptops, branded, home built and no-name.

StuartR

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I have had no problems either (installed on 3 machines). Many of the software problems relate to programs being blocked by the firewall being turned on.

A couple of knowledge base article you may want to read:
    Some programs seem to stop working after you install Windows XP Service Pack 2
    Programs that are known to experience a loss of functionality when they run on a Windows XP Service Pack 2-based computer

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi John,

Other than the obvious about installing SP2 other than SP1, are there any other dependencies on the order of installing/updating various programs that people know about? I think I saw something a few days ago about not updating the latest version of Roxio (or maybe some other DVD/CD burning SW) until after SP2.

Thanks.

Fred

Thanks

Hi Fred,
    I'm not really sure about the Roxio software, but possibly their web site might have some information. Apart from that, the links in <!post=Tony's post,424161>Tony's post<!/post> provide some very useful information. Good luck.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have had a severe problem on an AMD Athlon 64 PC running Panda Anti-Virus since installing SP2 via Windows Update.
    Both Panda and Generic Host Process for Win32 services cause a DEP fault and force the computer to continuously re-start.
    I preferred SP1 - less danger to the computer than the antics of any would be buffer overflow hacker!
    The cure is worse than the disease (again).

Administrator
    Thanks

Try turning DEP off. Did you check the KB artcle in <post#=424442>post 424442</post#>?

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes and yes. That is I triedto turn DEP off but this is not an option. Instead you can exempt certain programmes. Exempting Generic Host for Win32 services did not do the trick. I had to exempt my Panda antivirus as well (see KB article about how a third party programme may prevent some Windows services from starting) but then the (*&* Panda would not
    function. Solution? I got rid of Panda - I've never been happy with Panda anyway as it conflicts with too many other programmes and gives annoying pop up messages even when you turn them off. Now all is well.
    Conclusion? AMD64 + XP SP2 + Panda = possible trouble.

Administrator
    Thanks

You can disable DEP. See this ieXbeta Board > Windows update harbors AMD conflict.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, that information will no doubt prove very useful in resolving this and future issues with AMD64s.
    The question remains: did Microsoft deliberately put this bug in to favour Intel or was it just another case of them not bothering to get it 100% right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast