Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

ALT F4 - word crashes (WordXP SP3)

Hi

We have the following issue occuring:
    1. we open & save a file locally ie to C:Temp
    2. make some changes
    3. click on the 'Application Close' cross in the top right hand corner of Word OR use ALT F4 to close Word
    4. say yes to sve changes to the document

the result is: Word will now crash with a debug error message.

Usually on the Word error message you can click on Debug to look at the error> however when i click on Debug > the Word message doesnt display the debug Window msg just closes.
    I goto the event log to obtain application details ie Start>Programs>Administrative Tools(Common)>Event Viewer (on WinNT 4.0).
    The description is: 'Faulting application winword.exe, version 10.0.6712.0, faulting module vbe6.dll, version 6.4.99.69, fault address 0x000985f3. '

I've looked on MSKB site & found the following: WD2002: Error Message, Word Stops Responding When You Quit Session http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;286899.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?
    Do we tell users that they cant exit out of Word using those steps?
    I've yet to clean up the vbe6.dll & see the outcome.

many thanks
    diana
    Attached Images Attached Images

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: ALT F4 - word crashes (WordXP SP3)

Hi Diana:
    Try running the repair feature from the Help menu. If that doesn't work, it may be an add-in. Try the steps listed in <post#=197827>post 197827</post#>.

Thanks

Do you use a document management system? Many come with programs that perform special gymnastics to respond to the "X" button. However, I have not heard of problems with Alt+F4. Maybe they access the same part of Windows (i.e., the part of Windows that tells the application to shut itself down)? Naturally, the best workaround is File>Close or File>Exit.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi

Yes we use a document Management system.
    I've been looking on the web. Ive noticed its a common issue with microsoft word or excel - on closing the application, displaying the error message 'Vbe6.dll errors.
    some of the suggestions & fixes are:
    1) a conflict with the norton antivirus software and its ms-office pluggin.
    2) a conflict with WinFax Pro ms-office add-in installed after ms-office
    3)and maybe related to the Adobe PDFWriter & the Word template PDFMaker.dot & the excel add-ins.

1& 2 dont apply. Our antivirus software is McAfee, I've yet to look into this. and I've done 3) ie locate and remove all instances of PDFMaker.dot & PDFMakerA.dot. I've re-opened Word & tested - the result is the I'm still getting a Word crash on VBE6.dll

diana

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Edited by Phil Rabichow to make the link clickable - see Help #19
    Hi

The issue I'm experiencing is on the MSKB Word Stops Responding When You Quit with Documents Open: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;294662.

Also in the past there have been bugs in Office and/or in DM's integration macros that have caused the X button to exit the application without closing all documents. this bug probaly still exists.

many thanks Diana