3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Archiving Deleted Items (2000)

Please confirm for me that I understand the archive function. Here is the situation: Archiving is set to run every 14 days. The Sent Items folder is set to clean out items older than 3 months old and move them to C:... The Deleted Items folder is set to clean out items older than 6 months old and permanently delete old items. So...Every 14 days all items older than 3 months are moved from my Sent Items folder in Outlook to the archive.pst file on my C drive. Every 14 days all items older than 6 months old are permanently deleted from my Deleted Items folder in Outlook. Those items are not moved. The only items stored in the archive.pst file are old Sent Items. Is this correct? I am trying to troubleshoot these two folders for a co-worker. This co-worker has 29,000 items sitting in his Deleted Items folder and I'm just not sure archiving is working for him. Everything is "turned on". Thanks for any help.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Archiving Deleted Items (2000)

Your situation is a bit unclear. FWIW, the individual Folder Archive settings override the Application-wide Archive Settings. To see if the Sent Folder Settings and the Deleted Items Settings that are specified for this user are working, I would sort those folders by received date, and see if the oldest Sent item is no older than 3 months and 14 days, and that the oldest Deleted Folder Item is no older than 6 months and 14 days. Then I would open and examine the Archive PST(s) and see if only the Sent Folder has items which are at least 3 months old.

If you are finding that the Archiving doesn't seem to match the specifications set for each Folder, Post back with more specifics.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

John, I checked the dates for the Sent and Deleted Items folders and nothing is older than it should be. I also opened Archive. There are no items in the Deleted Items folder, which is good. The Archive Sent Items folder has 3 months worth of items starting with the date where Sent left off and going backwards. This is as it should be, right? Archive is working. So the problem is just in the actual number of Deleted Items. The solution for this user would be to clean out/permanently delete items for less than 6 months, correct.
    PS - Archive also has a mix of In Box Items - Is this the way it should be?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Regarding the Inbox items in the Archive file, see what the Application-wide settings are; if there are no Inbox-specific settings, then the settings under Tools | Options | Other | AutoArchive may be in effect (menu from Outlook 2003, but it should be similar in 2000).

>The solution for this user would be to clean out/permanently delete items for less than 6 months, correct.

That would be my answer. Ask the user why he/she wants to wait 6 months. If the fear is of needing items accidentally deleted, a better answer may be to Archive Deleted Items. (Disk drive space is cheap.)

Also, if the User is on Exchange, see if Deleted Items Recovery is installed (<post#=214085>post 214085</post#>), and a better approach for the user. But FYI, Deleted Items Recovery can cause a lot of stuff to be retained on the server; one of my employees who had very little in the Inbox and Sent Folders kept getting warnings that his Server capacity was maxed out, and it turned out that 20,000 messages in his Recoverable Deleted Items were the culprit.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS