Thanks

Pound signs (XP )

I'm not sure if this is a Windows question, an Outlook Express question, a service provider question or what.

We have a church office with several PCs running Windows XP. All use the same ISP for email, though I think some of them use Outlook and some Outlook Express. I have personally checked that the PCs are set to English (United Kingdom) in the Regional and Language options in control panel, and that the keyboard settings are set to the UK keyboard layout, and that the keyboards are physically UK keyboards.

I have sent an email from one of these PCs to myself and the pound sign, that is the currency symbol we use here, came out as a pound sign on screen when I typed it on that PC, both in Outlook Express and in Wordpad. But when the email reaches me at home (I'm with a different ISP) the pound sign has become a hash sign. And what was a hash sign in the email as typed also came through as a hash sign.

The same happens with all three of the PCs in the church office and with a wide variety of recipients.

I had thought that the regional settings or the keyboard settings must be wrong, but they are not.

What can be the cause of this, and how can we get the pound signs that are sent staying pound signs when they are received?

Ian

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Pound signs (XP )

Are the regional settings on your home PC the same as the church PCs? Have you checked with your ISP?

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

The regional settings on my home PC are the same. I haven't checked with my ISP, but if there is an issue at ISP level it is likely to be with the one used by the church since many recipients of emails from the church office, who use a variety of ISPs, experience the same thing.

Ian

Administrator
    Thanks

What happens when you send an e-mail from home to church? What happens when you send from church to home using a web mail account such as Hotmail or Yahoo?

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

When I send an email to the church office, a pound comes out as a pound. But when they send one to my Hotmail account, what they send as a pound arrives as a hash.

Ian

Administrator
    Thanks

Seems to me that it is something in the church PC setup then. If it was the ISP I'd think inbound e-mail would be changed also. How about if one is sent from church using a Hotmail account?

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

On computer where you OPEN Hotmail mail check encoding (from Internet Explorer, View | Encoding) - is it Western European (Windows), Western European (ISO) or AutoSelect? If AutoSelect, sometimes it uses wrong encoding - choose Western European (Windows).

Thanks

It's Western European (ISO). I suppose that it might be worth checking on the sending PC too (OE being part of IE)?

Ian