4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Workgroup file (WINXP/Access 2003 SP-1)

I have an mdw file created in Access 97. I have converted some Access 97 databases to Access 2000 file format.
    So far so good. I have both Access 97 and Access 2003 on my machine. I have joined the ABC.mdw workgroup and everything still seems OK. I have a user and joined him to the mdw file. Still everything's OK.

Eventually, IT will be removing the Access 97 application from all of our workstations.

Question: Do I need to convert the mdw file to Access 2000 file format? Or will removing Access 97 not affect the mdw file?

For the fun of it, I tried converting the Access 97 mdw file to Access 2000 file format and have had numerous problems.

The first time I tried to convert it, the error was that I don't have rights to convert it. (I am the admin, so I thought !! I converted other databases !)
    Then I tried to create a new mdw file and import everything in to it :
    It didn't offer me "Files of type" .mdw

Should I even be concerned with converting the mdw at this stage?

Thank you for your input.

Michael Abrams

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Workgroup file (WINXP/Access 2003 SP-1)

I have users who's database has been converted from Access97 to Access 2003 and they are still using the mdw file created in 97.
    If you want a 2003 mdw file, have a look at :
    <A target="_blank" HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;824258">Error messages when you convert the workgroup information (.mdw) File to Access 2002
    Francois

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Pretty interesting.
    So we can open Access 2003 databases using the mdw file that was created in Access 97 without having Access 97 installed.

There's gotta be a catch down the road somewhere............

But for now, Thanks for the info Francois !

Michael

Super Moderator
    Thanks

And there is a small catch. Access 97 MDW files have a tendency to go corrupt when a user crashes for some reason, and that can be a pain. We worked in an environment where we had some 70 people all sharing the same security file, and we finally went to deploying a copy to the workstation for that reason. 2000 and 2002/3 security files seem less prone to problems when Access (or the workstation) crash.

For that reason, we usually do upgrade the security file, or more correctly, create a new security file with the same identifiers, when we are working with a secured database. It does mean that you need to keep separate external records of all the groups and users in the security file and what their group memberships are.
    Wendell