New Lounger
    Thanks

Watermark (Word 2003)

Greetings. I have created a business stationery in Word Perfect using their "watermark" method and it worked just great. However, I also need to do the same thing using MS Word. However, from what I can tell, the choices for creating a watermark in WORD are either a "picture" or using "text words" such as draft, copy, etc.

Is there any way I can insert "text and graphics" into a watermark in WORD. I tried to create my stationery in WORD using a "header and footer" but the text and graphics" in the header were to many lines causing the "1st line of typed text" to appear way to low on the paper.

Any suggestions or comments will be most appreciated.

Thanks.....Michael from Seattle, Washington !

Thanks

Re: Watermark (Word 2003)

You could insert a TextBox (or WordArt, if your text needs to be fancy) and a picture (in the drawing layer, so you can drag it where you like) and that should be just as good.

I'm not sure that a watermark has any magical qualities. I suppose that a watermark might automatically be "faded" a bit. I'm not sure you can imitate that with WordArt or a floating picture. You might have to consciously design it in.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You could use a graphics program like Paint Shop Pro to create a suitable picture with the needed text added at the desired place(s), and use that picture to create a watermark in Word.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can put any combination of text boxes and graphics elements in the header to act as a watermark. The "secret" is to make them floating, behind text (in the Layout tab of the Format Text Box / Format Picture dialog)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by fburg on 09-Nov-04 22:06. fixed name of program in para 3 (Word, not work))</P>Michael,

as a followup from Jefferson Scher and Hans, another part of the secret is to make the elements of your "watermark" (ie, graphics, text in text boxes) not interfere with the main text. These elements are normally placed in a header (or a footer) and they float, as they've mentioned.

But you don't want black text in a text box to serve as a watermark. You can change the color of the text in the text box to be some light gray. Something you have to play with.

If using pictures, later versions of Word (starting no later than 2000) had a drop down box in the Format Picture dialog after you inserted and selected the picture. This drop down box allowed you to select the "Color" for the picture (under the Picture tab of the Format Picture dialog). The drop down had 4 pre-defined "colors" which were nothing more than combinations of the brightness and contrast settings. One of the "colors" is "watermark" which gives a washed out look, which is what you probably want for a picture to be used as a watermark. If you don't like those settings, use "watermark" as a starting point and then play with the brightness and contrast settings until you get what you like.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In Word 2002, it's called "Washout" (see screenshot).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png x.png (7.7 KB, 0 views)