New Lounger
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Editing Registry

I have Win98SE. I did a bit of a cleanup of old program files and, in the process, deleted some old Symantec files which were not, so far as I could see, being used. Now I get a DOS message on startup saying that I need to remove the entries from Registry or SYSTEM.INI. I've found the references in the Registry (there's nothing in SYSTEM.INI), but I'm not absolutely sure that I should delete them (and I'm reluctant to play around with the Registry unless I'm very sure of the outcome). How can I suppress lines in the Registry without deleting them (ie, like putting rem or : in front of the line in DOS)?

Lindsay Graham
    Canberra, Australia

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Editing Registry

Hi Lindsay

I've encountered similar situations with incomplete uninstalls, including Semantec/ Norton stuff. I've used JV Powertools, or its lighter version RegCleaner, to clean up after such incomplete program uninstalls. The beauty of these is that they can analyse the registry in terms of software title/ vendor. You can simply scroll the list for what you know shouldn't be there any more, and select those entries for deletion. Another advantage here is that these programs make restorable backups, so the actions can be easily undone if things don't work out as planned.

Unfortunately, the author has moved from freeware to shareware on these, so the former versions are harder to find. I can, however, dig out some (still functional) freeware download links if you're interested in this solution.

Alan