New Lounger
    Thanks

spooler subsystem app keeps shutting down (XP home sp1)

I don't know if this is related, but since I uninstalled SP2 (which was preventing my home network from running smoothly) I have been unable to print. In fact the printer/fax folder is empty, and after rebooting i get an error message saying that spooler subsystem app has encountered an error and must shut down. I have tried manually starting it and all its associated programs (print server TCP/IP and fax) but it immediately shuts down again. Thus I am unable to install any printers of any kind.

Does anyone have any clues as to how I go about trouble shooting and resolving this error, so that I can at least install some kind of printer driver and pdf distiller stc.?

many thanks for any suggestons.

Sandy

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: spooler subsystem app keeps shutting down (XP home sp1)

Probably during the upgrade a new version of print spooling exec (spoolsv.exe), its dll (spoolss.dll) or other critical file was damaged.

Make sure your original Windows Installation CD (or i386 folder on your hard drive) is available, then click Start | Run, type:

SFC /SCANNOW

hit Enter and follow the procedure.