Silver Lounger
    Thanks

USB Controller (XPP SP2)

I am having a problem with a Microtek scanner and after uninstalling and then reinstalling the latest driver in the
    H Lewton

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: USB Controller (XPP SP2)

1.) Do you have any other USB devices? If you do, when you delete the Controller they will not work.
    2.) All you should have to do is delete the Controller then re-boot. Windows should rediscover the Controller and ask for your CD (use the slipstream CD) if needed.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

hlewton,
    1. I don't think it will allow you to remove the entire USB Controller at one shot. If you highlight he Controller and click on "actions" you will probably NOT see an uninstall option for the entire Controller. You will have to individually uninstall each one.
    I looked at my USB line in DM and only saw one Generic USB hub and two USB root hubs and two Intel entries.

2. Yes, use the slipstreamed SP2 CD. That should be the latest and greatest.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Joe,

Yes I do have a few other USB devices and they are working fine now. Will they continue to do so after the reinstall?
    H Lewton

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Bob,

I have tried to find out what belongs to what as far as which one would be the scanner. I don't see anything to identify that for me.
    H Lewton

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

They should be fine as long as they are attached and on when Windows tries to rediscover them.

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Joe,

Thanks. I'm a little leery of trying this. Everything else hooked to the USB ports are functioning fine. I would think that should mean something.

Maybe my alternate solution is the best route to go. I have turned off the scanner and removed the scanner finder from the Startup folder and my problem is gone. Then when I need the scanner I just turn it back on and manually click on the scanner finder and it works fine for a while.

Thanks again.
    H Lewton

Thanks

Sometimes you can get a hint of what USB hub is what, by clicking on each hub in Device Manager and then properties>power. For example, if I look at the propertiespower of one Root Hub, it says there is a generic USB Hub 4 port connected, so I know that is the external hub I have connected to one of the MB USB ports.
    I would try uninstalling one at a time, rebooting and see what XP rediscovers for each one. If your other devices are working OK now, I wouldn't worry about losing them during your trial.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Bob,

Thanks, I'll give it a try and see what happens.
    H Lewton