Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Links to Backend (Access 2000)

Is there any way to make links relative? When I move a front end program to another location I find that I have to delete all the links to the backend tables, then set the links up to the new backend location. It would be nice if the links could be made to default to the same folder as the front end regardless of where it is located. However, I've found no way to do this.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Links to Backend (Access 2000)

You don't have to delete all the tables.
    In the database window, you can go to Tools / DataBase Utilities / Linked Table Manager.
    Check the Always prompt for new location at the bottom of the window, click Select All and OK.
    Navigate to the back end database and click OK
    To do it automatically, you have to do it with code.
    The Orders.mdb has sample code and is available here
    Francois

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Francois,

What I found with importing tables from the back end db is that the import does not replace the existing tables -- it adds new links with the same table names plus a number. For example, if I have a linked table named tblMain and I import a link to the same table, Access creates a new link named tblMain1. I have to delete the old link and rename the new link back to tblMain. Thus, I've found it easiest to first delete all the old links and then import the new ones, as they will now come in with the proper names.

Notwithstanding the above, I have downloaded the sample files that you suggested and I will have a look at the code. Perhaps there is another way around this problem.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Chuck,

The Linked Table Manager is not the same as import tables. It change or refresh the link. You will not have the problem adding new links with the 1 at the end of the name.
    Francois

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

What I had failed to notice before was the "Always prompt for new location" check box on the Linked Table Manager dialog box. It wasn't checked, so it did not give me the opportunity to select a new location for the back end db -- it just refreshed the existing links.

Thanks for your suggestion. It certainly simplifies things.