3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Book on Access (2003)

I'm looking for recommendations on the best book to purchase for Access 2003. I'm looking for something that covers some basic stuff but also goes into the more complex items like code modules, using ADO, performing some of the DB Util operations via code such as the Linked Table Manager and so on. I began working with Access in version 97 and wrote a fairly nice application in back then for an apartment management company I used to work for. It was good enough for them to continue using it after I left and to even pay me to help them keep it up to date when a new version of Access came out by updating the file format to work with the next version of Access. I have not done any serious work in Access since version 97 and as Office 2003 is suppose to be a major change in the Office Suite I want to revisit Access and perhaps over haul that application done 7 years ago.

I would prefer to stick with a single book and not get one for basic functionality, another for code references and yet another for something else.

Thanks
    Ed

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Book on Access (2003)

<font color=blue>Edited by WendellB to activate links - see <!help=19>Help 19<!/help></font color=blue>
    Here are some good sites and trusted sources:

http://www.engineerandinventor.com/0_PRODU..._SpecialEd.html
    http://www.woodyswatch.com/l.asp?0735612838 (I didn't see an update for 2003 but Helen is fantastic)

If these don't work, stop by Borders and spend some time flipping through a few resources.
    Hope that helps,
    Dashiell

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Book on Access (2003)

Frankly, I don't know of a single book that really covers most of the basics. The best IMHO is The Access Developer's Handbook, but as far as I know it hasn't been reissued for 2003. Actually there aren't any major differences between 2002 and 2003 for most developers - the usability improvements are pretty obvious, but there aren't many functional differences. Another book I personally like is Alison Balters Mastering Access 2003, but you won't find extensive info on VBA coding - just a basic introduction. If you really want to delve into programming Access, I would suggest Rick Dobson's book "Programming Office Access 2003" by Microsoft Press. BTW, Access 2003 Inside Out, mentioned by <!profile=dashiell>dashiell<!/profile> was done by a different author, John Viescas who is very well respected in the Access community.
    Wendell