3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Book for Word 2003 (2003)

I'm looking for recommendations on a good book for learning Word 2003 and everything it is capable of from Mail Merge to tracking document changes by multiple users. I have worked with Word since version 97 but have never really sat down and did any kind of formal training which is why I know how to do a Mail Merge but up until just recently I struggled with bullets. I know this may sound silly but that's the way it goes when you don't properly learn how to use a software program. My company produces an accounting software product geared to a specific audience. When our clients do not dedicate the proper resources in terms of money and time to learn how to properly use the product they often end up in a situation similar to mine. I'm looking for a book that will tell me enough about word to help me become a MVP of Word.

Thanks
    Ed

Thanks

Re: Book for Word 2003 (2003)

I think lots of use and helping people sort out problems here on the Word board will be the fastest way to learn the ins and outs of the program. However, books certainly can help. Since I have not yet installed Office 2003, I have not really looked for a book. (I did buy Ed and Woody's book, "Special Edition Using Microsoft Office 2003," when it appeared at our local Costco warehouse, but have only glanced at selected parts of it.) In the absence of other recommendations, have you looked at the reviews on Amazon.com?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Book for Word 2003 (2003)

Hi Ed:
    I haven't used Word 2003, so maybe I should stay out of this, but I've read several books about earlier versions. Uusually Que publishing puts out a good book called Using Word etc.. Also, the author Bill Camarda writes a fairly extensive book. These books generally stop short of the sort of things you learn in newsgroups, however. All the topics are covered, but you won't get advanced usage of mail merge or VBA from that type of book...there's just too much to cover. Microsoft Press puts out a Running series on Office products, which has been good in the past.

Our own Woody writes books on Office. The advantage of his books is that he will tell you where something won't work or where Word is lacking or a bug. That's rare to find in other books. You can find information on that here.