Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Nvidia driver update

Nvidia have released updated graphics drivers for Windows XP/2k Version 66.93. I've had them installed for a couple hours without any problems so far.

Joe
    Joe

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Nvidia driver update

Joe

On my GeForce FX 5200 screens, I can't see anything that looks a bit lower than 66.93, or anything remotely similar!

The driver versions I have seem to be 6.14.10.4502 and the card BIOS is 4.34.20.22 BC (whatever that means).

What do yours end up as?

Thanks

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Administrator
    Thanks

John,

My driver version now ends with 6693. I'll have to check this evening for the exact numbering. Looks to me as though you have 45.02 installed. BTW, Nvidia recommends that you do a separate uninstall and not install over the current drivers. I've had fairly good luck ignoring that in recent versions but YMMV.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

John,
    I also have the GeForce 5200FX card with 61.77 version installed. My BIOS is 4.34.20.23.00. ( I think that can vary as to the particular manufacturer that uses the NVidia chip )

IF you right click on desktop>properties>settings>advanced, there should be a separate GeForce 5200 tab there. Opening that up should show the driver version installed at the bottom of the page. Mine shows 6.14.10.6177. The 6177 being the driver version.

I will be DL the latest version that Joe mentioned and this should show up as the updated version there.

( note to Joe: I have also installed the newer versions right on top of the old with any problems )
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by JohnGray on 10-Nov-04 19:58. following further research...)</P>Thanks, Joe -- my version seems to be absolutely ancient, even though I bought this Dell in March!

Bob - the path you give is exactly where I found the versions for the driver and other associated files!

Being an enthusiastic coward, I'll leave it a few days to see if you find any problems. I've got a Dell 1703 FP, which could conceivably have problems if the drivers are unfriendly.

John

Later... I looked on the Dell Support website and discovered
    a) the Dell SUpport website doesn't support Firefox
    [img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] the newest nVidia GeForce 5200 128 MB drivers are dated 05/05/2004, and are what I have loaded, viz. 45.02....
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Administrator
    Thanks

John,
    Don't hold your breath waiting for Dell to update drivers.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

Joe,
    Just a note. Just updated drivers to 66.93.
    Worked fine overwriting the old version.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Administrator
    Thanks

Great. Never quite sure about Nvidia. For a while you were hosed if you tried to update. Then it seemed to work fine. I just happened to notice that they still recommend an uninstall of your current version then install the new version. Couldn't remember which way I'd done it last time so I went with their suggestion. But if it saves a reboot and the upgrade works so much the better.

Joe
    Joe

Administrator
    Thanks

John,

BTW, you can look at the release notes at the Nvidia site to see if there is anything related to monitors. I doubt it as the monitor should be immune to a video card driver update.

Joe
    Joe

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Well I finally did the dreadful deed.

First I uninstalled the Nvidia drivers. Probably a mistake, since I ended up with a 640x480 screen, and all my desktop icons randomly moved about. reboot.
    Then I installed the new drivers (not clear on the difference between US and International, but chose the former). reboot.
    Then I reset the resolution to 1280x1024 and spent 10 minutes rearranging the 40 icons to where I remembered they used to be! I've got a new system tray icon, which I can also get rid of...

Hope it was worth it!

John

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Administrator
    Thanks

John,
    So far my system seems somewhat more responsive with the new driver. I can't quantify 'somewhat'. Unfortunately, reverting to 640x480 and screwing up the desktop happens all the time. I dislike that very much. Which reminds me, some time ago I found a utility to save the desktop positions. I'll have to check on another system at work to see if it is still around. Look at this:DesktopRestore.

Joe
    Joe

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Joe

I've tried it and it's a little short on explanation, isn't it!

The SaveDesktop <filename> seems to have to run in a Command Prompt window, and produces a file with

number of icons
    that number of icons with the following three lines for each:
    icon's x position
    icon's y position
    icon caption text

Looks straightforward? Thanks for the pointer!

John

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Administrator
    Thanks

John,

There is not much in the way of explanation. I just stumbled on this for someone here who works from home about 60% of the time. Frequently when he is not here someone else will logon to that PC as a different user and change the resolution and icon layout. So, he needed something quick & dirty to get his dektop back when he is onsite.

Joe
    Joe