Star Lounger
    Thanks

Create a blank fill in form (Access 2000)

I can't seem to think of a way to create a form that would: When I click on a command button open a form showing all the check boxes that have been checked but also a complete list of all the categories that can be selected.
    I have a table called specialty, it lists 209 different items. I want these to appear each time for every company. What is happening now is that it only lists the specialties that were previously selected for that company. I can't select any new specialties if they are not listed. If the check box is there and blank it lets me click it.
    I don't know if I explained that very well. Thanks for any help that can be given

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Create a blank fill in form (Access 2000)

Lets see if I understand correctly.
    You have a form, possibly holding company info. You also have a command button on the form that (when clicked) activates a sub-form that should list all the entries in the Specialty table with a checkmark where the company has ordered before, and the ability to check other options too.
    You mention check boxes?!! If the context is correct, would the sub form not be more efficient if connected to a query that lists all the 209 items and display it in a datasheet format in the form...the first column being the item, and the second being a yes/no checkbox illustrating the previous selected specialties as checked.
    Could you give more detail on the design of your form and verify if my analysis of your query is more or less correct. It will help any other loungers to assist in solving your problem.
    Regards,
    Rudi

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you really want to do it that way, you would need to have a table with 3 fields: CompanyID, ItemID and ItemChecked (a Yes/No field). You would need to create 209 records in this table for each company. Each record in this table represents a possible company-item combination. Records with ItemChecked = Yes represent the selected combinations.

But this would cause a lot of overhead. Instead, I would use a table that contains only the selected company-item combinations, and create a continuous form with a combo box for the items.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Rudi / Hans thanks for your responses. Yes, I have a table called company specialty, and a linked table called specialty. It is then linked to company. I have 209 specialty items that can be selected. The linking table holds company ID and Specialty ID along with Applicable (Yes/No). The company form is very complex with 2 other subforms on it. So I wanted users to be able to click a command button that would open up the 209 different specialties showing what had already been selected but allowing them to select or deselect from the list. The problem was that when I created the linked form some of the companies only have 13 or 14 specialties listed instead of the 209.
    Thank you in advance. I am working all day tomorrow in case you get back to me and I don't respond.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Robin,
    <hr>You would need to create 209 records in this table for each company. Each record in this table represents a possible company-item combination.<hr>
    Hans is correct in his judgement. Unfortunately you will need a table with the 209 items listed each time for each company to achieve what you want. See the attachment database to illustrate what Hans means!
    You may have to adopt a different structure to the form, if you want to save yourself a mighty lot of work!
    Cheers
    Regards,
    Rudi