Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Dual Ethernet/wireless adapter??

I'm sick of this, but here I go again!

Is there a dual ethernet/wireless adapter?
    If so, which are recommended?

Currently, I have the following:

1, Win 2000 system networked to a Win 95 system using a crossover cable.
    2. I connect to internet using dial-up modem
    3. Win 2000 system uses a 3COM PCI 10/100 NIC: 3C905B-TX. This has only 1 port.
    4. Win 95 system uses a 3COM ISA 3C509B.

I was thinking (yes, that might be a mistake!), can I replace the NIC on the Win 2000 system with a dual ethernet/wireless adapter?

I have no spare slots on the Win 2000 system, so the NIC would have to be replaced.

The goal would be to add a notebook and then a desktop, each of which would use Win XP.

Prefer more ports so I can hardwire, if I choose, the notebook or desktop or both.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Dual Ethernet/wireless adapter??

Just so I understand you - were talking your PCs now and you want a NIC that is Ethernet and wireless, right? And that is because you are out of slots on your PCs and your thoughts are that you need this to share your Internet connection? Or just to link the two computers? Or what?

If you are considering getting that wireless Netgear FWG114P router we discussed in your "I'm confused" post, then remember that it will have a built in 4 port switch on your LAN (your side of the router will become your LAN) - so, if I understand how I think the backup dialer will work, each system will be directly connected to the router through Ethernet or wireless and the router will dial out. You will not need the cross-over anymore and the two systems will not be physically connected to each other any longer. You will still be able to share files through the router by opening up sharing on each system. But you will no longer need to keep your current host system on or connected in order for your second system to access the Internet.

So, you will be able to remove the modems from both systems - freeing up a slot. Each system will only need one NIC (Ethernet or wired) to connect to the router.

Clear as mud, right?
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Actually, as I described in another thread, there does not seem to be a need to have the modem go thru a router. Only 1 PC will really be using the internet, except when I need to run, say, Windows/Office/Live update.

My concern/confusion is that the manuals for some of the products, I have not yet looked at the Netgear manual, talk only about Win 98 and higher.
    So even tho tech support at D-Link and Linksys told me that their routers would work as far as the network connection, but not for broadband (which I do not have), for Win 95, I am concerned that I will not be able to use the routers with the Win 95 system.

I expect that there are no recent wireless routers that include support for Win 95, so I am looking for ways to maintain my current setup, perhaps even continuing to use a crossover cable to net the Win 2000 and Win 95 systems, but add the capability of adding the Win XP notebook (and later a Win XP desktop) to the same network. I ASSuME that wireless would be the preferred method for the notebook, but I want to use either wireless or hard wired in case there are problems with wireless.

I could add a USB wireless NIC to the Win 2000 system, but I've not yet seen documentation on how to handle two NICs in one PC.

For now, I've got to keep the Win 95 system around, as I still get requests for WordBasic to VBA conversions and the Win 95 system has Word 7.
    I could remove the Win 95 system from the network and move files on floppies or Travan 4 tapes as both e Win 2000 and Win 95 systems have Travan 4 tape drives. Have not used the tape drives since June 2003, but I ASSuME they still work. Other than for the WB conversions, the Win 95 system is powered off 99.99% of the time, so I may be needlessly complicaing matters by even worrying about neting the Win 95 system.

The most simple solution is to:

1. Remove the Wih 95 system from the network.
    2. When I get the notebook, add the router and hook the Win 2000 system to the router.
    3. When I Bget the desktop, add the desktop to the router, or use wireless.

But I'm still looking for a way to kep the Win 95 system on the net.

Thanks

Howard,
    If you are considering a wireless router (and you still want to keep the Win95 machine on the net), this Belkin adapter may offer a solution. Belkin seems to say that this will work with ANY ethernet equipped computer. If Bill (or anyone else) is familiar with this adapter, maybe he could offer his opinion.

As for the two NICs in one PC, the alternate hardware profile solution suggested here might be the answer. HTH.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Thanx, I'll check those out.

I just spoke to Netgear.

The FWG114P would indeed handle Win 95, BUT it will only handle external modems, not internal modems.
    They suggested I look at the WGR614.
    I'll do that in a bit.

Netgear's first level tech support is also in India, but so far I've not had a problem understanding them, and they transferred me to a fellow in the US.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

The Belkin is also only supported for Win 98 and up.

However, I expect that all routers, at least for TCP/IP will work with Win 95.
    But I prefer to see that stated.
    So far, I've only seen this for the Netgear FWG114P. I'll check their WGR614 documentation.