Kankakee, Illinois, USA

Reverting to last good configuration

I have an older computer running Windows 98. Yesterday it started up just fine. This morning, it will only start up in Safemode. Keeps mentioning a missing device file and a norton file. How do I make the computer revert back to the last good start up configuration? Nothing new was added or deleted by the user yesterday.

Platinum Lounger
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: Reverting to last good configuration

This article describes how to restore a backup copy of the registry. The crux of it is:

1. Start your computer, press and hold CTRL, and then choose Safe Mode Command Prompt Only from the Windows 98 Startup menu. If you are running Windows Me, start your computer with the startup disk.

2. At the MS-DOS prompt, type cdwindowscommand, and then press ENTER. Where windows is the name of the folder in which Windows is installed.

3. At the C: prompt, type scanreg /restore, and then press ENTER.

4. Select the previous registry you want to restore, and then press ENTER.NOTE: A properly working registry has the word "Started" next to the date.

5. When you receive notification that you restored a properly working registry, press ENTER to restart your computer.

Hope it works for you.