New Lounger
    Thanks

PST repair after Archive error (2003)

I've just had a significant number of archived items vanish. It might have happened as a result of my unwittingly dragging folders into a second instance of the same .PST used by AutoArchive. In other words, the .PST was opened twice, once by my selection of Outlook Data Files in Settings, and a second time when trying a test archive operation on my Tasks folder.

Tasks, Search Folders, and Deleted Items are now the only folders displayed in my Folder List. Even SCANPST doesn't detect any of the 20-odd folders that should also be visible in this 27MB message store. Instead it comes up with a generic, and empty, folder list. (BTW, does SCANPST ever get upgraded?)

I doubt any of this stuff is critically important to the point of paying for expensive data recovery programs or services, but this is a piece of my personal history I'd really, REALLY like to see again.

I'd appreciate any suggestions on the next step to take.

Thanks,
    Claude

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: PST repair after Archive error (2003)

Sorry if I left the impression that I'm without backup and clueless.

I was able to recover a substantial number of items from backup, though not everything. And I'm still interested in hearing about good alternatives - or upgrades - to SCANPST.

Thanks,
    Claude

Thanks

Re: PST repair after Archive error (2003)

SCANPST.EXE, AKA the Inbox Repair Tool, is a typical database recovery program that creates a new PST from whatever it can recognize and scavenge from the old one. A commercial alternative, used mostly for the "bigger than 2GB" PST program, is EasyRecovery EmailRepair from Ontrack. In our case, it took a few tries, and a call to tech support to tell us we had checked a box we shouldn't have checked, but then it did rescue an oversized Outlook 2000 PST.