Lounger
    Thanks

Insert Date and Time issue (Office 2003)

When I use the shortcut Shift^Alt^D or Shift^Alt^T it will insert the date or time into the document, but it updates it every time I reopen the document, and I don't see how to make it stop doing that. When I use the tool bar .. Insert >> Date and Time >> etc.... it has an option to NOT update the field.

Is there a keystroke shortcut that I can use to simply enter the date and/or time in a way that will NOT update when the document is reopened?

Thanks,
    larry

Thanks

Re: Insert Date and Time issue (Office 2003)

I don't know that there are any "built in"; you could check the Word help file for "keyboard shortcuts" for other possibilities.

A workaround would be to insert the date, then press the left arrow key to move your insertion point into the date field, then press Ctrl+Shift+F9 to convert the live field code to its current result text.

Plan C is to use the AutoComplete feature. For example, type Nove and Word typically displays a pop-up that says November. If you press F3 and then a space, Word typically displays the complete date. However, if you want a short format (e.g., 11/10/04), I don't think that method works.

Last but not least, you could always record your own macro (e.g., inserting the date field and converting it to text) and assign it to any set of keys you like. Hope this helps.

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Insert Date and Time issue (Office 2003)

(Edited by HansV to make URL clickable - see <!help=19>Help 19<!/help> for instructions)

Hey, thanks for the response, but I was really looking for a fast commandline type of thing. Found the answer by adding an INPLACE extension to my ActiveWords. (http://www.activewords.com/) Works GREAT!! The ActiveWords program is a must-have.