3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

enabling java 1.5 (Firefox 1.0)

I have spent all morning searching web sites trying to get information on how to get Java 1.5 to work in Firefox 1.0, which I just installed. The newest version of Java works just fine in IE6 but not in firefox. Unfortunately, all the help files I can find refer to java 1.4.2, and they don't seem to apply to 1.5. In Firefox, I have checked Tools/options/web features/enable Java. In some of the help notes I have found, there are instructions to download a registry patch, but again, that applies to Java 1.4.2. When use Firefox to go to the test page on the java web site, I get a red x and a message that the applet failed to load. (The test page works fine in IE6.) The instructions say to open the Java console and check General/network settings/use browser settings. I have done that and still no luck. Any ideas, or do I have such a new version that there are no fixes yet?

Fafner

Thanks

Re: enabling java 1.5 (Firefox 1.0)

I'm using Firefox 1.0 and Java 1.5.0 with absolutely no problems. Have you checked here ?
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I had already seen that page and had done what it suggested, but to no effect. After I posted my first message I started over and retried everything I had already done. I'm not sure what did the trick, but now Java works. I think it may have been when I went back to the Firefox "Get Started" page (http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/central.html) and clicked the link to get Java. I was taken to the Java site and got a message that I already had Java. I had tried this before I posted on the Lounge, got the same message, but java still didn't work. After trying this a second time, however, java now works. Go figure.

Thanks for your reply.

Fafner

Thanks

Ah yes - the sometimes magical, mystical, unpredictabilty of computers and software. Glad to hear the problem is resolved and thanks for posting back.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions