Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Automatic Updates: Can't set (XP(H) SP2)

A few days ago I had occasion to perform a non-destructive reinstallation of my OS. Next I downloaded and installed SP2 from the Microsoft Download site. Then I installed Office 2003 (update) over Office 97. I had to reinstall my printer and my scanner, but otherwise the reinstallation went smoothly. Except...

Now I can't turn on the Automatic Update feature. When I try to turn on automatic updates via Control Panel, my computer freezes. I can't close the dialog box, and the only way out is to shut down the computer. And to shut down the computer, I have to resort to pushing and holding the power button!

I've never read anywhere about this problem. Any suggestions?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Automatic Updates: Can't set (XP(H) SP2)

Have you run a full a/v scan and anti-spyware scans? Have you tried running sfc /scannow? Here's some stuff I found in an MS newsgroup thread on activating AU.

1)
    Start/Run/regedit.exe

Under the registry key
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREPoliciesMicrosoftWindows WindowsUpdateAU

delete the value "NoAutoUpdate" if it exist.

2)
    Start/Run/services.msc

Then find "Automatic Updates" in the list, and double click on it.

Change "Startup type" to Automatic if it is not, and press Apply.

Use the Start and Stop buttons to see if the service starts and
    stops successfully. Leave it in a started state.

Do the same for the service "Event Log".

Do the same for the service "Background Intelligent Transfer Service",
    but here is Startup type Manual sufficient.

3)
    Start >> Run >>
    Type the follow command in the Open box.
    "net.exe stop wuauserv" (w/o quotes)
    Press Ok

Repeat the same for the following commands:

regsvr32.exe wuapi.dll
    regsvr32.exe wups.dll
    regsvr32.exe wuaueng.dll
    regsvr32.exe wucltui.dll
    regsvr32.exe MSXML3.dll
    net.exe start wuauserv

Restart the machine and try again.

Joe
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hello, Joe, and thanks for the response. I'm going to try all the stuff you wrote about. One question: What is sfc /scannow ?

I've run a full system A/V scan; have not used my anti-spyware stuff yet. That's next.

Thanks

Lucas,
    SFC is the "System File Checker". It will scan to see that all of your original system files are intact and in place.

Go to Start>Run, type in scf /scannow and OK.

Sfc will start scanning your system. Have your Win XP CD ready. It will probably ask for it.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

OK, Joe, I've run SFC. It never asked for a disk, I suppose because my machine has the installation files on a separate partition on the hard drive. Anyway, does SFC tell you anything...or just run?

Just now I tried regedit. Re: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREPoliciesMicrosoftWindow sWindowsUpdateAU"

Administrator
    Thanks

SFC only notifies you if it finds a problem. If the registry key does not exist that's good as you were going to delete it anyway.

What service shows 'Started'? Did you check each service?

Joe
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I checked Automatic Updates, but I see now there are many services that say "Started." If they don't say Started, they don't show anything under status. Most just say "Started."

Administrator
    Thanks

What about the other two that are specifically mentioned - 'Event Log' and 'Background Intelligent Transfer'?

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

Joe,
    ------------------------------------------
    SFC only notifies you if it finds a problem
    ------------------------------------------
    Am I reading you right?
    SFC will replace, not just notify you, if a system file is corrupt or missing. It's first choice will be the dllcache for a replacement but the cache file can also be bad, so it will ask for your CD and write a new copy in the proper place for you.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Administrator
    Thanks

No - SFC will ask you about replacing a system file. I don't believe that it checks the dllcache. That is for Windows File Protection - so XP can automatically restore a system file that is changed or deleted. SFC is to restore system files that have been overwritten or corrupted in the prime and cach locations to the last install/sp. It will not say anything if all is well. Guess I was clear as mud??

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

Joe,
    Are we saying the same thing only different?
    ---------------------------------------------
    If sfc discovers that a protected file has been overwritten, it retrieves the correct version of the file from the %systemroot%system32dllcache folder, and then replaces the incorrect file.
    BOB

Today it is called golf!

Administrator
    Thanks

Bob,
    Yeah, I guess so. In reading from your link, it appears that SFC is just the command line version of Windows File Protection. Here's a quote from the XP same on-line reference about WFP

In versions of Windows prior to Windows 2000, installing software in addition to the operating system might overwrite shared system files such as dynamic-link libraries (.dll files) and executable files (.exe files). When system files are overwritten, system performance becomes unpredictable, programs behave erratically, and the operating system fails.

In Windows 2000 and Windows XP, Windows File Protection prevents the replacement of protected system files such as .sys, .dll, .ocx, .ttf, .fon, and .exe files. Windows File Protection runs in the background and protects all files installed by the Windows Setup program.

Windows File Protection detects attempts by other programs to replace or move a protected system file. Windows File Protection checks the file's digital signature to determine if the new file is the correct Microsoft version. If the file is not the correct version, Windows File Protection either replaces the file from the backup stored in the Dllcache folder or from the Windows CD. If Windows File Protection cannot locate the appropriate file, it prompts you for the location. Windows File Protection also writes an event to the event log, noting the file replacement attempt.

By default, Windows File Protection is always enabled and allows Windows digitally signed files to replace existing files. Currently, signed files are distributed through:
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry