BoatBody

Outlook Journal function

Need help. Beginning 1-29-01, I set my email, MS Word 2000 and MS Excel 2000 docs to be journalized. For 6 weeks it worked fine. Then in mid-March, it continued journalizing MS Word and MS Excel, but stopped journalizing emails going out and coming in through Outlook 2000. I can MANUALLY drag and drop emails onto Journal for those emails after 3/15/01 but it isn't doing it automatically. I don't recall any changes to email functioning that would account for this. Any ideas?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook Journal function

Try the following:

Click: Tools; Options; Preferences Tab; "Journal Options ..." under Contacts.

Verify that E-Mail messages and/or other required items have been checked under "Automatically record these items". You may want to also review "Also record items from:" to ensure of any other application files you want to journal. Also, you may want to check and/or setup your Journal Archives folder (I call mine "2001 Journal Archives" and save in the default folder).

Click OK until you are back to Outlook screen. If this does not work, check to see if you have a maximum folder size limit (right mouse click over Journal and click on properties - click on folder size).

I tend to Journal many items and set the automatic archive function for every three months. You can STILL access the archived journal items by opening the .PST folder. Meanwhile, your main Journal Folder does not get to cluttered.

Hope this helps.
    Scott

BoatBody

I am sure it was the vast knowledge eminating from this Lounge, but I may have answered my own question regarding Outlook Journal functions. Seems that while OL2000 allows you to make different folders under the CONTACTS portion of OL, if you leave the contacts in the subfolders but no copy of the contact in the main folder, the Journal appears only to autoJournalize the emails from those persons listed in the main Contact folder. Apparently it is too lazy to check the subfolders.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

it's not lazy, it needs told to check the other folders. right click on the contact folder and look at the activities tab. also the person needs added to the journal list, you need to enable the extra folders as address books.

BoatBody

I tried your suggestion above. But even though I checked the subfolders, by removing the copies of the vcard names from the "contacts" general folder and pushing them back into the subfolders, the system does not autojournalize income (or outgoing) emails to those individuals. I had to import all the names back into the contacts folder then go into Tools,Options,Journal to click them all before they work.