Thread: Defrag

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Defrag

I am running Windows 98 SE on an 800 MHz PC with 20Gb hard disk. I am running Defrag via Geodisk2 and it is taking over 13 hours and then only getting to 96% before failing. In details view it seems to be progressing only one cluster at a time with several seconds pauses between each move. Any suggestions?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Defrag

I use GeoDisk with no problems. A few random things come to mind:

Do you have the upgraded DEFRAG.EXE (from WinME)? Geodisk should try to update this itself. Its details are:
    File Version: 4.90.3000
    Product Name: Microsoft® Windows® Millennium Operating System
    File Size: 213,296 bytes

Are there any background processes running? Again, Geodisk should reboot so as to surpress any unnecessary processes from running, but maybe it's not doing so.

Will plain old DEFRAG.EXE work faster? Can you try a manual defrag in safe mode (not sure if it's possible)?

Alan

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by philkiwi on 12-Nov-04 01:18. wrong version number)</P>I searched for defrag.exe and found it in two places, C:Windows and C:Program filesGeosoftGEODiskBackup. Both are an earlier version, 4.70.1998. However, on my other PC which is networked, it also appeared in two places, in the Geosoft folder it is the old version, but in the Windows folder it is the new one you mention. Can I delete all the old versions and copy the new one to all three folders? I tried defrag via Start/programs/accessories/system tools but it was no better.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

What I did was just to rename the old version(s) to DEFRAG.OLD (just in case). The more obvious thing that just occurred to me is that Geodisk might be set to run Scandisk in Thorough mode, which physically checks the disk for surface errors, sector by sector, as you describe.

If this isn't the case, try to run the new defrag version on its own (Start -> Run -> Defrag) and see if it's Geodisk running the old one that is causing the slowness. If it is, rename all the old copies as above, and make sure the new one is present in both locations. Hopefully that will work.

Alan

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I did as you suggested and renamed the two files to defrag.old then copied the new version to both folders. I ran defrag under Geodisk again and it raced through the job in under 17 minutes!!! Possibly helped by the fact that the bulk of the defragging had already been done in the previous 13 hour marathon. Anyway, thanks for your help, Alan.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Glad we solved it! Just a word on Geodisk - I just gave mine a whirl and it kicked up, saying that drive J: (a partition actually) had less than 11% free space, and could therefore not be defraged. I later ran plain old defrag on it with no problems. I suspect that this is a self-imposed limitation of Geodisk, somehow dictated by the way it functions internally. Anyway, if you get a similar message, that's the fix.

Alan