2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Invisible USB Key Drive (Windows XP SP-2)

Hi,

Not sure if this should appear in the Hardware section. I have a Memorex 512 MB USB drive. It works fine at home and at my night school - plug it in and it immediately shows up in Windows Explorer or My Computer as a removable drive.

Work is another problem. I hear the tone, and if I check the control panel it says it is there and working properly. However, it doesn't appear anywhere in WE or My Computer, so it's impossible for me to drag files to or from it. The only time I tried using it at work before was when I just had XP Service Pack 1. At that time, I was able to use it but in a weird way. It "took the name" of one of the network drives, instead of appearing under its own drive letter. (I knew this by looking at the contents of the network drive - it was all my stuff.) This time, no such luck - all the network drives are their usual selves, and my USB key drive is completely invisible.

I do have administrator privileges on my PC, so I don't think this is due to some restriction placed there by work (which would likely be behind the curve on that type of restriction anyway - we still have machines running Windows 95).

Finally, I still have to click on the remove hardware icon in the system tray to stop the drive so that I can safely remove it; at least that part of Windows XP recognizes its existence.

Any ideas on how to "find" my drive?

Thanks,

John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Invisible USB Key Drive (Windows XP SP-2)

When you install a USB drive it takes the next drive letter after all your other physical drives. If you have a network drive mapped to this drive letter then this can cause the symptoms you describe.

The easiest solution is to ensure you have 1 or 2 unused drive letters after all your real drives and before the network ones. If you can't do this for some reason then you could use Disk Management to move the USB disk to an unused drive letter (Right click My Computer > Manage > Disk Management, then right click the partition in the bottom right hand section and choose "Change drive letter and paths...")

StuartR

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Invisible USB Key Drive (Windows XP SP-2)

Thank you Stuart - That absolutely did the trick!

Regards,

John