New Lounger
    Thanks

web based email (oe 5)

Hi,

I work for a training centre inside an organisation. However our firewall blocks port 25. This means that I have been unable to set-up a pop3 email account in outlook express. Unfortunately I am unable to change this (our it people refuse to do unblock it) so need to try some alternatives.

I was hoping to use hotmail's http access through outlook but this is no longer supported for free. I would like to know if....

1 I can set up a pop3 account that will go via a different port.
    2 anyone knows of a way of setting up yahoo mail using the http option in outlook or another free web based email account that supports http access through outlook express.
    3 you can think of any other solutions

cheers

Stephen

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: web based email (oe 5)

POP3 access through a different port would only be possible with the co-operation of your IT people. From what you say, it seems very unlikely that they would set this up for you.

AFAIK hotmail has been the only form of webmail access ever possible via Microsoft products.

Netscape 6 offered the possibility of accessing Netscape webmail. This may have been withdrawn. Your organisation may ban non-Microsoft products in any event.
    Gre

Thanks

The most common ports are:

POP3 inbound mail retrieval: 110
    SMTP outbound mail sending: 25

Because mass mailing worms call out to other servers on port 25, it is quite appropriate to have a general policy of blocking this port, but of course, some people will be able to score exceptions. If you are not able to get one, you could try using a secure connection. This requires ISP support. See <post#=275109>post 275109</post#> for an example of the port settings; you also have to fill in the dialog for the authentication settings.

New Lounger
    Thanks

thanks for your help. i originaly hoping to set this up using yahoo's free pop3 access (its still free in england). i will give this a go when i am in work tomorrow but i suspect that yahoo requires port 25.

cheers

[img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks

It does appear that Yahoo! Mail uses only port 25 and does not support a secure connection. (E.g., Yahoo! Mail > Mail Help > POP Access and Forwarding > Outlook Express (IE 5) -- step 14 -- and Errors Receiving Mail (POP) -- further confirmation -- and Errors Sending Mail (SMTP) -- possible workaround.)