Rene Vargas

AutoText Entry Button

Hello,

My first post in this forum! I am using Word 2000 and have a custom toolbar with a menu in which I have added several buttons that insert autotext entries. This was done --the "plain user way"-- i.e. via the Customize

JustCallMeAl

Re: AutoText Entry Button

Take a look at:

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MacrosVBA/AttachMacroToButtonContent.htm>How do I find out or change programmatically which macro is attached to a button on my toolbar</A>.

There may be something there of help.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Hello Rene,

Unfortunately I don't think there is a way to do either, programatically. The OnAction property will only be of use if the action connected to that button is to run a macro.

Probably if you'd left the button names in their original forms, some sort of hack would have been possible, but once these were changed, there really is no traceable link back to the command.

Gary

Rene Vargas

Mmm... That is sad. I got the inspiration for this AutoText thing from an Addin created to Manage AutoText Entries (see <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.practicalmacros.com>http://www.practicalmacros.com</A>). You might ask: why don't I buy the addin and don't break my head with the problem? Well, the answer would be: the Autotext utility is NOT sold, as far as I know, as a standalone. It is a "pack" of utilities 90% of which have no interest to me [img]/forums/images/smilies/sad.gif[/img]
    If you have time to look at the page and get an idea of a the "road" I could follow, please let me know.
    Thank you very much for your time,

Rene

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Hi Rene,

That looks like a nice site and a nice product (I like their book recommendations too!), so I don't think it would be appropriate to discuss how we could reverse engineer something similar based on the screen snaps there :-).

That on the other hand doesn't keep us from discussing how to customize Word any old way we want, including working with autotexts. Even something simple (such as something you can build yourself) might be useful. If you have any specific questions about automating access to autotexts, post 'em.

Gary

Rene Vargas

Oops! My intention was not to engage in "reverse engineering". I apologise for the misunderstanding. My mentioning the site was merely to show that something "industrial-strenth" is out there and that working with/managing AutoText via VBA is possible. I'll give it a thought to the bits and pieces of code that I've been working on and post my questions as they come up.
    Again, thanks for your time [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Rene