Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Trial vs Retail (Office 2003 Pro/ Student/Teacher)

Can't find answer to this anywhere within Microsoft; hope Loungers can help.

New computer has trial version of Office 2003, Student and Teacher Ed., pre-installed. I have a retail version of Office 2003, installed in previous crashed computer. My question is: do I install this trial or my retail version from CD? Eventually, I'll need the full functionality of the Pro version, but don't know if installing it over trial would cause problems. Or should I uninstall trial first and then install from CD?

Pretty basic, I know, but I want to proceed carefully now that we've had to purchase new replacement notebook!

Hopefully,

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Trial vs Retail (Office 2003 Pro/ Student/Teac

Hi Linda

See Convert to Office 2003 Editions. The article states "When you insert the Office CD (the CD for the retail version) into your PC, the PC will detect the trial software and if the perpetual software is the same language version and edition as the trial software, the end user will receive a message stating that there is no need to uninstall and reinstall the product software."

If the trial version is not the same edition as your full version then you will need to uninstall the trial version.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Tony, thanks for the link. Checked it (and your suggestions). The trial in this machine is Student and Teacher, but my retail version is Professional. That means I need to uninstall the trial first, right? Just want to be absolutely sure - yeah, I'm nervous about messing up!

Linda

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

If you go to What's in the Office 2003 Editions, you can see that the Student & Teacher edition contains a different set of program than the Professional edition. In this situation you will have to uninstall the trial version.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

It is safer to ininstall.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by IreneLinda on 13-Nov-04 20:57. Added PS2)</P>Thanks, Tony and Howard, I will uninstall the trial (different definitely) and then install from CD the retail version. Appreciate your time and assistance!

Linda

PS Checked out your Web site, too, Howard. Lots of stuff there for more help!

PS2 Tony, I've forgotten too much Latin - what does your quote mean? Nulla has to be something to do with 'nothing' and 'vestigia' sounds like 'vestiges', but beyond that, I'm stumped!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

The motto is that of my home county and means 'No retreat' or 'We never go backward'

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

According to World of Quotes, Vestigia nulla retrorsum means "No steps backward" and is from Horace.

StuartR

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Tony and Stuart. Great motto! And have I ever forgotten my Latin!

Linda