3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

SEQ field incrementing twice in Word 2000

I have a Word 7.0/95 template that I am converting to Word 2000. In one of its many macros is a SEQ field that serves to number attachments and figures, either alphabetically or numerically. When converted to Word 2000, attachments and figures are skipping every other sequence; i.e., instead of having Attachment A, B, C..., we have Attachment B, D, F... The same is true of figures. What could be causing this, and how do we correct it?
    The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position or opinion of WCNOC.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: SEQ field incrementing twice in Word 2000

OK, I hate to do this, replying to my own post, but...can anyone offer a workaround which might allow me to do this? The SEQ field in question is being applied by a macro which places it in a section header, so that there are individual sections for Attachment A, B, etc. The top of each page should read <pre><center>Attachment A
    Attachment Title
    Page x of y</pre>

</center>The page numbering, everything else is working except the assignment of the Attachment letter, which as I said is being done with a SEQ field, and is skipping every other sequence. I had heard that this is an ongoing issue with Word. Unfortunately, I need to make this work by this Friday if possible. Anyone?
    The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position or opinion of WCNOC.

Thanks

This is all new to me, so apologies for some basic questions. I assume you are using something like this at the "body" of each attachment section:

Attachment { SEQ Attachment * ALPHABETIC * MERGEFORMAT }

I assume your header looks something like this:

Attachment { SEQ Attachment c * ALPHABETIC * MERGEFORMAT }

If so, it seems there must be an intervening SEQ field somewhere in the body, perhaps with the hidden attribute set. If that isn't the problem, give us more details on how your fields are set up.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Actually, the converted WordBasic code, which worked perfectly in Word 7.0/95 (and all the way back to Word 2.0), reads as follows:<pre>WordBasic.InsertField Field:="SEQ " + a$ + b$ + " * MERGEFORMAT "</pre>

where a$=Attachment Type ("Attachment" or "Figure") and b$="* ALPHABETIC" or "* NUMERIC". Attachments are numbered alphabetically, figures numerically.

I tried recoding the statement using VBA, as follows:<pre>ActiveDocument.Fields.Add Range:=Selection.Range, Type:=wdFieldSequence, _
    Text:=a$ + b$ + " * mergeformat "</pre>

Both produce the same result in Word 2000, incrementing twice each time. Somehow, Word 2000 handles the SEQ field differently. I can assure you that there are no intervening SEQ fields in the body.

When I posted a similar query on the Microsoft site, I was told that this was a known bug in Word 2000. I do know, however, that Word 97 produces the same erroneous behavior.

If you would like, e-mail me, and I will send you a copy of the template. It is too large to attach here.