Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: buy new pc: run Excel macro

See http://www.standards.com/index.html?MacroRecording

The code generated by recorded macros is almost always slower, not to mention that it is almost always incomplete or not what you wanted.

Yes, I am proudly an anti-macrorecording bigot!!
    That's my constitutional right!!

Thanks

Obviously, you must have meticulously timed many many macros to arrive at this conclusion. On average, how much slower do recorded macros run than "straight code".? - milliseconds, seconds, minutes ???????
    "it is almost always incomplete or not what you wanted."
    Again, you have provided AN (one) example. How many "recorded macros" produce "incomplete" or "not what you wanted" code? If this is the case, then macros are indeed very unreliable. I have recorded many many macros and they are seeming to do what I want them to do. Am I simply being hoodwinked ??? I assume you have reported this glaring error to MS and I would assume that the folkes at MS have responded to your error reports?
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

It is widely known that record macros, in general, produce inefficient code, and more often than not, code that is incomplete.
    This is stated in books and MSFT KB articles.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I agree that recording tends to produce inefficient code, but it is an incredibly useful technique for people who don't have an encyclopaedic knowledge of the object model. It generally produces "good enough" code for most purposes - but if you need high performance code then you do need to hand craft it.

StuartR

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Recording code causes at least the following problems:

1. Perpetuates bad code as folkes copy the code elsewhere.
    2. Makes folkes rely on the Selection, instead of Rangem object.
    3. Traps lots of folkes into doing tumble saults when the code is either incomplete or needs to be changed so that it runs correctly.

Oh well, on to other things!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Howard,

I absolutely agree with all your points, but recorded macros
    <UL><LI>Allow people with no programming experience to automate simple tasks
    <LI>Help people to identify the names of methods and properties that they can then use in "proper" code
    <LI>Are perfectly good enough for many purposes where the code is simple and not run frequently[/list]I am now going to move these replies talking about the limitations of recorded Macros to the VBA board, as they have little to do with hardware.

StuartR

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

buy new pc: run Excel macro

This set of replies was moved here from the Hardware board by <!profile=StuartR>StuartR<!/profile>. They were originally posted as replies to <post#=425930>post 425930</post#>

hi Howard Kaikow. now i understand. one more thing i want to check with you, normally, or is it, recorded macro run more faster than vba programmed macro (of the same task) or vice versa.

thanks for your advice.

Edit: one more thing, what do you mean by 'ALL dat'. 'dat', is it data?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

hi all. thank you for so many expert advices. i do agree macro recording is for beginner and vba programming is for advance user. and i also realise vba programming language learning is not quite easily adaptable by every person.

thanks.

Edit: one more question about macro please, is it harmful to pc or software or in anyway, if i often cancell a macro that is running, meaning i press Esc to cancell it. thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you use a lot of object variables (the kind you assign a value with Set varname = value), canceling a macro may leave the memory used by the object in use. If you do this a lot during a session, the amount of available memory may decrease. But this is only temporary, it will in no way harm your computer. Next time you start your computer, all memory will be available again.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

ok Hans. i kind of get it. Thanks.