Lounger
    Thanks

Dialog boxes slow to appear (Word 2003)

I have Office 2003 Small Business Edition. I installed it from a CD that came with the computer. When I click an item (for example Page Setup on the File menu), the (Page Setup) box takes a verrrrry long time to appear..... so slow that I'm inclined to think the computer hasn't registered the click of the mouse. But if I wait long enough, the box finally appears. Now if I close the box and then go to the File menu to open it again, it comes right up. Any ideas as to how to fix this?
    (I'm using Windows XP Home Edition with SP2 in case that would be a factor to take into account.)
    Thanks much,
    DeeJay

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Dialog boxes slow to appear (Word 2003)

Tell us more about your computer, CPU speed, amount of memory and disk size.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Lounger
    Thanks

PROCESSOR: PentiumŪ 4 2.80E GHz/ HT + 1MB L2 cache; L1-0KB; L2-1MB
    HARD DRIVE: 80.0GB (7200 RPM)
    MEMORY: 1.0GB DDR RAM PC3200 (2 DIMMs)
    I hope this is the info you need .... or maybe it's too much. I don't really know what it all means; I'm just copying down letters and numbers.
    DeeJay

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Just needed to make sure that it was NOT as harware problem and with that system it is not.

What AV and Spyware are you running?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Lounger
    Thanks

I just ran my Anti-Spy program (SBC Yahoo! Anti-Spy) to see what spyware might be in the computer and it just shows "Virtual Bouncer", which it classifies as "adware". The only other two items are supposed to be "good guys" for this computer. They are "Ipinsight" (used by my dsl server), and "BackWeb" used by the computer company (HP) for updates or somesuch thing.
    I have Norton AntiVirus 2004.
    DeeJay

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Start the Norton AntiVirus console. Click Options, then General or Miscellaneous (depending on your NAV version). Make sure that the Enable Microsoft Office Plugin check box is clear. The Office Plugin is notorious for slowing down Office applications, and as long as you keep AutoProtect on, you can turn the Plugin off without compromising security.

Lounger
    Thanks

I un-checked the Office Plugin box as you suggested, but the problem remains the same. Thanks for the suggestion anyway. I guess I can live with the problem if there seems to be no solution since all boxes seem to come up promptly after that first one finally drags itself up from whatever abyss it's hiding in. It just seems kind of weird in addition to being a bit unhandy.
    DeeJay

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Check out Phil Rabichow's <!post=Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (97/2000),197827>Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word (97/2000)<!/post>. Perhaps you can pinpoint the culprit.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks much for the info. I just checked out the article and several of the links. A person can sure get an education around here. I'm considering it all very slowly and carefully. (after having this computer crash a few weeks ago, I proceed cautiously with this kind of stuff).
    Again, much thanks!
    DeeJay

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I work with a large number of computers and have noticed that this spyware garbage will slow things down in all your programs - especially if they are "internet aware" .

First things first, get rid of virtual bouncer if you haven't already. Instructions at this link, but the tools below will also remove this pest: http://www.iamnotageek.com/a/389-p1.php.

[edited to remove link to possibly bogus uninstaller]

The Yahoo spyware tool is weak at best, use Spybot and or Ad-Aware Pro WITH Ad-Watch, and definitely scan with http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract/index.html. I use all of these (and a few more) to keep my (and my client's) machines humming swiftly along.

After a scrub - I'll bet your Word menus speed right up.

Lounger
    Thanks

Hooray! Success!
    Here's what finally worked: I ran Disc Cleanup and opted to clean out the Office Setup Files (I hadn't done it before because Disc Cleanup was cautioning against doing it if I didn't have the Office installation CD handy ... but I do have the CD, so no problem). After cleaning out the Office Setup Files the Dialog Boxes pop on the screen with no delay.
    Just wanted to let everyone know in case it might be a help to someone else.
    Thanks to all for your suggestions.
    Best wishes, DeeJay