4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mail merge (Win XP Access/Word 2003)

The column headings were in Spanish, and apparently this effected the sequence of the fields. The sequence in the query was different from what showed up in the recipients window. Changing the captions in the properties of the query fixed that. Now, the first name has a space in front of it, and the greeting line uses the invalid recipient name alternative rather than the first name of the recipient. Something is not right.

Any thoughts?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mail merge (Win XP Access/Word 2003)

I am using the Northwind table Customers. In the query I have selected Country Name, Address, City, Postal Code and Country. All customers in Germany have a blank line after the Address line. Other countries print correctly. I seem to get erratic results from the Merge It With Microsoft Word from the Tools/Office Links. Has anyone else had problems with this? Can the names of the fields in the query effect the way this works?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The names of the fields do affect the way the merge works - the field codes used in Word refer to the field names (or captions if they are used) of the query. Thus if you change field names and then try to merge to an existing Word merge document, things will misbehave. However they should not cause odd behaviors in individual merge results. It may well be that the addresses with Germany as a country have an embedded carriage return or line feed (or both) character. I don't know of any other causes for the blank line behavior, but you might apply SP1 for Office 2003 if it hasn't already been installed.
    Wendell

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I run the merge from a query in Access using the Office Links, Merge It With Microsoft Word. I use the option to create a new letter. This regenerates all of the recipients new every time I test, I believe. I am not changing names of a merge letter that has the fields already set. I get different behavior from different Caption patterns. Strange. I just ran the query with English captions, and more or less it works. (Still have the problem with Germany). I changed the captions to Spanish and the sequence of the fields is changed. The company name is put at the end of the recipient's list, for example, and does not print. It is the first field in the query and the last name in the recipient's list.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The order of the fields in your query grid has little or nothing to do with the order of the fields that are displayed in Word. There may indeed be some issues with the way fields are presented when you introduce other Languages in Access - I don't think I've ever actually used another language in doing a merge. Perhaps one of our lounges from Europe will have had some experience in this area. I should also confess that we almost never initiate a merge from the Merge It with MS Word office link. We either have the user kick it off as a merge, or we use Automation in Access and actually execute the merge on the fly so the user never sees the main merge document. I'm sorry I'm not able to duplicate your issue.
    Wendell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm using Access 2002 SP3, not Access 2003, with Dutch-language databases. I've never had problems with the order of fields...

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am using a table with LastName, FirstName, Address, City, State, Zip, Telephone, Fax and a date field. The merge functions. I interchange LastName and FirstName, do another merge, and it still functions. How does the mail merge know which is the first and last name? I am missing something.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

All you are doing is changing the order of the fields in the record, but they still have the same name. Word inserts Field Codes to use in the merge that contain the field names. Does that clear things up a bit?
    Wendell

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am making new merges for these tests, so there are no existing Field Codes. At the very start Word has to have some way of knowing which field to assign to the first name field and which to assign to the last. If I put an "x" in front of each of the name fields in the table, the recipient list starts with the address, and the names don't print. The order doesn't appear to matter, but the names of the fields do. What about company names? I would like to know more about the convention used to recognize the field names. Then I could work around the foreign language issue.

Am I completely off base?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In step 4 of the Mail Merge Wizard, you can insert an "Address block", "Greeting line", "Electronic postage" or "More items". If you insert an "Address block" or "Greeting line", the Mail Merge Wizard tries to guess which fields in your data source are most appropriate. You can click "Match Fields" to see and edit this guess. If you click "More items", you can insert individual fields - Word doesn't try to guess what they mean.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you. It looks like that resolves my problem.