New Lounger
    Thanks

Need for Office Re-Activation? (Office 2003)

What happens when I re-format my hard drive and do a clean re-install of Office 2003? Will I need to reactivate? Or will the system automatically detect that my Office 2003 is already activated?

Thanks

Re: Need for Office Re-Activation? (Office 2003)

In all probability, the activation should be painless. If all you have done is reformatted, then you should have absolutely no problem. If you have not added or subtacted hardware from your computer (i.e.the system is not significantly different from when you activated Office the first time), you will be fine. The Activation process will transfer the appropriate information to MS and compare this with what is already in their database (from your first activation). The process will realize that you are simply installing Office again on the same computer (that's the way it is supposed to work). I have done exactly what you are proposing and have had no problems at all.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

New Lounger
    Thanks

Many thanks. This was helpful.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

the simple way to deal with reactivation hassles - for a reformat and reinstall - is to back up your activation key. The files in Question are named opa11.dat and OPA11.BAK. They can be found in Cocuments and SettingsAll UsersApplication DataMicrosoftOfficeData. There's no harm in doing a reboot between when you install Office and when you substitute in the (validated) old key files for the (unvalidated) new key files. As ever, make a backup of the new keys before you try the substitution.

This is much the same procedure as for Office XP reinstalls - except "data" (without the quotes) rather than "opa11" appears as the file names. A similar position applies for Windows XP activation - except that the file names are wpa.dbl and wpa.bak and they appear in C:WindowsSystem32.

HTH
    Gre