Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NTFS on WIN98SE

Thanks

NTFS on WIN98SE

I have my network up and running as previously described in other posts. The OS is XP Home SP-1 and WIN98SE

I have discovered that I cannot read the XP volumes (formatted NTFS) on the WIN98SE computer. Does anybody know of a utility to allow file transfer. I can read CD's 3

Thanks

Re: NTFS on WIN98SE

I was under the impression the limitation with reading NTFS only applied if W98 was trying to access them on the same PC. Are you saying W98 can't access *networked* NTFS volumes at all? Can it see they exist?

Thanks

Good-day Lief. Yes I am saying that the WIN98SE computer sees the drives but when you try and explore them the error message is
    OFFICEH_DRIVE (H) is not accessible.
    Not enough memory is available, quit some programs.
    As I said in my original posts files can be transferred through the CD-RW, LS240 (LS120 disk) and the floppy. None of the main volumes nor folders within them can be opened on the WIN98SE. I had 64 MBytes of RAM I have tonight upgraded this because of the message to 256MBytes. But the results are the same. A search through other forums and a search on "win9x NTFS" seems to confirm my findings. I am seeking comfirmation.

I can read the FAT32 files on the XP system.

Ted

Thanks

I still believe you should have access to the NTFS drives on a network. As NTFS is a much more secure file system, I would suspect it is down to a permissions problem.

See if MSKB 304040: How to configure file sharing in Windows XP sheds any light.

Thanks

I agree with what you are saying but the KB article refers to XP Pro not my version XP Home (The options are not available). I have this morning transferred files from the XP (NTFS) system to the WIN98SE system while sitting at the XP system. They are readily seen on the WIN98SE computer.

I still cannot explore the shared drives from the NTFS System while sitting at the WIN98SE computer.

Windows Explorer on the WIN98SE computer does not seem to be able to read the NTFS volumes whilst the Windows Explorer on the XP Home copes well with the FAT32 files. (They can be read, edited, copied etc.)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

On your XP machine have you defined a "Share" and have checked the "Allow network users change my files"?

I am using a combination of XP Pro NTFS and FAT32 Home NTFS and ME FAT32 and they all talked to each other.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

Thanks Dave, I have opened "My Computer" right clicked the drive, selected the "Security & Sharing" option, then checked the box "Share this folder on the Network" and "Allow Network Users to change my files" I click "Apply" and get a dialogue box "Setting folder permissions" and the usual green progress bar. I then go to the WIN98SE computer open "Explorer" then "Network Neighbourhood" then the XP computer. The drive is seen but as soon as I click the drive I get the error message re the memory. I would appreciate any assistance. Like yourself I am retired and have so much to do.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Do you have an account on the XP machine that has the same Profile name and Password that is being used on the Win 98 machine?

Give us a screen shot of the error message, it may help.

Thanks

I have tried everything I can think of, even to creating a partition on one of my drives and formatting it to FAT32. It is not seen on the WIN98SE computer. Anything shared on the WIN98SE can be accessed on the XP Home. Most advice seems to suggest to enable "Simple File Sharing" this is not an option in XP Home.

The attached graphic shows the error message

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Give us a screen shot of your XP Home share, see attachment for on on my desktop.

Thanks

Thank you for your assistance, this one has me completely beaten.

Just a summary

The XP can access everything from the WIN98SE
    The WIN98SE can access the CD, LS120, and Floppy drive. But not any other medium.
    I partitioned one of the HDD to create a FAT32 partition, this did not help.
    I am beginning to think the problem may be on the WIN98SE computer. Maybe the message is correct in that there is insufficient memory. But the computer boots quickly and works perfectly, 256MBytes should be OK for WIN98SE.

Thanks

Just a side issue, how do you get your images under 100k, I reduced and have lost size. I have used 24 Bitmap.

Ted

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I save as a "gif" file format, using PrintKey 2000.

You have NOT answered the question ask above about your accounts.

Do you have an account on the XP machine that has the same Profile name and Password that is being used on the Win 98 machine?

Thanks

My profile on the XP is called EDWARD, the Workgroup name is also EDWARD. is this significant? There are not any profiles on the WIN98SE my signon is Edward J. O'Grady with a password.

Thanks

Forgot to add I have tried other signon's with administrators rights with the same results.

Ted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast