5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Exporting Favorites (Currently IE 6)

Probably an inane question, but given my caution about making sure I understand what will likely happen when I make software conversions, here goes: I'm 99% sure I'm going to download Firefox and try it for a while before I make it my default brower. But when I export my favorites/bookmaks to Firefox, will they still remain in IE in case I want to on occasion switch back to that browser. I've checked a variety of FAQs, done some searches on the Forum and elsewhere, but can't find anything specific regarding my question.

Thanks

Re: Exporting Favorites (Currently IE 6)

I'm 99% certain you have nothing to worry about - I've had no problem relating to lost bookmarks from three installs.
    To be honest, I don't even recall having to do any exporting or importing - I have an idea FF silently went and found them for me. If you are concerned, make a copy of your IE export first.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Leif

I thought that would be the case, but I just wanted to have some assurance from the Forum-meisters.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I concur with Leif - transferring Favourites across to become Bookmarks was one of the most satisfactory "conversions". Putting the groups/entries in the order I wanted them took a bit more working out and assistance from "knowledgeable Lounge chaps". And as for working out why "Bookmarks Manager" Rename is a button and not a Right-Click Menu Entry, your guess is as good as mine!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I think if you use the File --> Export feature in IE, it will retain your bookmark groupings, for you. Then, in FireFox, you would then replace (maybe import ?? I haven't tried) the bookmark.htm(l) file for your user profile.

Sorry about the general tone, I've not done this - but I've used the IE Export frequently at work, when upgrade PC hardware for other users.
    Christopher Baldrey

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

There are 2 methods to installing Firefox, the most common method is to use the .exe file. When the installation program is run it gives the options to import settings from IE to help make the transition easier. These settings imported include favorites, options, cookies and stored passwords. If you do not run the import wizard during installation you can run it later from within Firefox (File>import). The import wizard does not change anything within IE.

For a brief guide to converting see Switching from Internet Explorer to Mozilla Firefox

There is a second way to install Firefox using a zip file of the contents of the Firefox directory but this is generally only used by people who do tests on various builds.