Lounger
    Thanks

cropping picture makes it larger (Word 2K SR-1)

Just got a new computer with same software as before. All of a sudden, any pictures I try to crop grow in size. If I have a scanned picture reduced to 90% and I crop out white space the picture grows to 93%. It takes up all the space it originally did, but the white space is gone. Sometimes that's nice, but I'm cropping out the white space to make the picture smaller. Now I have to go back to format picture and change the scale size (giving me another step) to accomplish the task.

I copied my Normal.dot over from the other computer and all my settings seem to be the same. There must be something that's switched on and I can't find it. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Thanks

Re: cropping picture makes it larger (Word 2K SR-1

I've never seen that happen. Almost as though the picture had a defined amount of space to fill and it insists on filling that space. Like HTML maybe.

If you press Alt+F9, is the picture inserted as a field code with any unusual switches? Or is it floating in a textbox or other drawing-layer shape?

Lounger
    Thanks

No, we scanned a document and made b/w Group 4 tifs (small file size like a fax) out of the pages. I inserted them thru "Insert picture from file" and they sit in line with text.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Nancy:
    Try this:
    <UL><LI>Insert picture
    <LI>Right click & choose Edit picture
    <LI>On the Picture Toolbar, click the cropping tool & crop the picture
    <LI>On the Edit Picture Toolbar, click the Reset Picture Boundary button
    <LI>Click Close picture[/list]Does that work for you? By the way, you can keep the file size in Word down by doing your cropping in another program.

Lounger
    Thanks

My problem seems to have gone away. I had restarted Word while I was having the problem thinking that might clear it up, but it didn't at the time. I have tried several times in the past couple of days and the problem has not re-occurred. Hope it stays gone! Thanks for your time.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I find that this is NOT real cropping of the image, it just revises the viewing area of the image. The large image is still in the file. The BEST method is to clip a copy of the image using a image editor and then insert it. This way the image file is smaller and the Word file will also be much smaller.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.