Star Lounger
    Thanks

Disable Proxy (Win 98SE / IE6)

On our network we are using Novell with zenworks to roll out a nal object that sets our proxy settings. Problem is people have found out that if they uncheck the proxy box they can get to the Internet. Is there and if so what is best way to remove this option for the user. We have rolled out policies that remove all cpl files, and that does not work. Thanks for any help. If you have any questions let me know.

Trent

Thanks

Re: Disable Proxy (Win 98SE / IE6)

If the proxy server is inside the firewall, your firewall should block outbound web traffic that does not come from the proxy server's IP address. For example, if only the proxy has permission to access port 80 through the firewall, people can't surf the web any other way.

If the proxy server is outside the firewall, then the firewall should block all web traffic that goes to any destination other than the proxy.

I may be missing something about your environment, but this is the most obvious approach (and much simpler than reconfiguring desktops!).

Star Lounger
    Thanks

It is a complex ordeal. I have control over my proxy server, not the firewall that is controlled from central office, and I know the easiest way would be to do this. The problem comes that there are certian sites that our business office and HR people have get to and they can't get there using the proxy server, you under the advanced tab were you can say use proxy EXCEPT for these sites, for some reason it doesn't work well and with our current situation(which will be changing soon, 1yr). if the blocked everything that doesn't go through the proxy server, then if it goes down...(old server), then even us as it could not get out). Is there no way just to remove or.....grey out that check box. and if I can get it done to one machine configuring it for the rest of the facility is easy, just rolling out a nal object and there all changed next time someone logs into that machine. Thanks.

Thanks

I've never worked with a NAL object, which I assume is similar to a Windows 2000/2003 "group policy object." A quick glance at Deploying Windows 2000 with Internet Explorer Administration Kit (IEAK) Modifications does not list a specific override for the checkbox, but there may well be one out there for the finding. Probably makes sense to start here: IEAK Information for Corporations.