3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Non-printing comment in header (Word 2002 SP-3)

I recently combined a couple of MicroSpeak (An unofficial guide to Microsoft corporate lingo) documents into one long doc. As a nav aid to an electronic reader, I have A-Z hyperlinks in my header. I want to insert a comment like "Double-click the header then click on the letter to go to it." in the header. But I don't want this comment to appear in the printed document, where it doesn't apply. Insert -> Comment is greyed out in the header, so I can't put in a comment and then print the Document Without Markup. Any ideas? (If any Loungers would like a copy of the document, let me know. It has some really good terms that deserve wider use. E.g., Beepilepsy.)

Thanks

Re: Non-printing comment in header (Word 2002 SP-3

The usual suggestion is to use hidden text. More often than not, users view but do not print hidden text. I think we had a thread recently that proposed adding a macro to the document to turn on the viewing of hidden text if it was not already being viewed. This was in the context of providing help text for form fields. Hopefully you can find that thread for additional inspiration.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Non-printing comment in header (Word 2002 SP-3

Thanks for the lead! A little searching turned up <post#=234166>post 234166</post#>. The great Hans spelled it out perfectly: "As long as displaying hidden text is on, and printing hidden text is off (both can be set in Tools/Options...), you can use hidden text for comments, instructions etc."