Star Lounger
    Thanks

Creating Password Table (2000)

I have a table containing Supervisors, Division Head 1, Division Head 2, and Division Head 3. The Supervisors are unique entries but the same Division Heads can be listed on multiple supervisor records. I have an employee table that includes a supervisor id, related to the Supervisor/Division Head table. I have also created a password table that includes each supervisor and Division Head with an associated password.

I need to be able to pull employee information, via a query, that asks for a Division Head and an associated password. I can't join Supervisor, Division Head 1, Division Head 2, and Division Head 3 all to the password table name column in the query and be able to pull any data.

If I only join Division Head 1 to the password table, I can pull those records with the input parameters of Division Head 1 and password and get the correct associated records. But I need to be able to pull any of the 3 division heads using their associated password.

Example:
    Table 1:
    Employee (unique) -- Patty
    Supervisor id -- 1234
    other info

Table 2:
    Supervisor ID - 1234
    Division Head 1 - Tom
    Division Head 2 - Dick
    Division Head 3 - Harry

Table 3:
    Division Head name (unique) -- Tom -- Dick -- Harry
    Password -- Tompass -- Dickpass --Harrypass

Tom could be a Division Head 1, 2 or 3 depending on the level of employee

I need to pull employee records for anyone that has Dick as a Division Head 1, 2 or 3. But it has to validate Dick's password, so he can't see any employee records that he is not a Division Head for.

I am familiar with some VBA code if there isn't a way to do it straight from a query.

Thanks for any help - I'm stumped - but there has to be a way.

Patty

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Creating Password Table (2000)

The long and the short of it is that you will probably need to invoke Access User Security to make this reasonably bullet proof. The usual technique is to store passwords in a table and then collect the password in a form and run a select query using the password as one of the criteria. The problem is that anyone can read a table in Access unless you set up permissions using Access User Security. If you decide to take that approach, you might find our User Security Tutorial useful, and you should also look at Jack MacDonald's User Security paper.
    Wendell

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Creating Password Table (2000)

We have thought about the security issue. We do have the tables with the data in a SQL backend, and the queries, forms, etc. in an Access front end. The users have to use their Novell login to even be able to get to the SQL data via the Access database, but once they are at that point, we want to limit which records a certain supervisor can look at via the input parameters in the query, which will be hooked to a report.

My problem seems to be, having multiple division heads in one supervisors record, I don't know how to verify their password from the password table, once their name and password have been entered into the name and password input parameters.